Treating Arthritis the drug free way?

Options
LynneS
LynneS Member Posts: 26
edited 7. May 2015, 14:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I'm recently diagnosed and after the initial shock it's been great to be able to read different posts on the forum - which is far more informative (and human) than my consultant :wink:

I'm still at the 'what else can I do' stage and wondered if any of you followed the regime in Margaret Hills book Treating Arthritis the drug free way. As far as I can tell it recommends cyder vinegar and honey 3 times a day, a spoon full of molasses 3 times a day and Epsom salt baths.

Have any of you heard of it/tried it?

I have started on methotrexate so it would be an addition to that.

Thanks

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I tried cider vinegar years ago (but to suppress my appetite and therefore lose weight - didn't work). It did, however, aggravate my osteo arthritis.

I take cod liver oil without fail every day. If I run out of these I am a lot stiffer. A physio told me years ago if taking any supplements for joint issues to have them for say 3 months, stop them for a week. If symptoms worsen they are effective for you. If no difference, don't bother and save your cash! Glucosamine fell into this category for me so I don't bother.

I have also tried ginger and bromelain (pineapple) extracts. Both completely useless - for me.

Epsom Salts? Yep - tried those as well. Result? No change. Threw em away (along with the ginger, bromelain and glucosamine).

Now, just because I didn't have any luck with these it doesn't mean you or others may not. I am not a medically qualified person but I personally wouldn't go too mad without checking with your GP first.

What I know some people do is to keep a food/activity diary with symptoms recorded so you can see if there are any obvious link.

Good luck with this. Please let us know if you find a magical cure.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Yes, I remember this lady from way back. I remember loads of people wondering why I didn't just cure myself. I've swallowed cider vinegar, honey, cod liver oil, green lipped mussel gonads, the lot. And here I am completely uncured :roll:

sorry to be so cynical, Lynne. When you have an incurable disease there are lots of people happy to make a living out of you. This particular regime is probably harmless but, if you want to try out other pills amd potions, always check with the pharmacist that they won't clash with the proper meds.

What else can you do? Eat healthily, exercise carefully and don't smoke. And keep taking the prescribed meds. I really hope they help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah yes, Margaret Hills, the lady who cured herself. Well, she 'cured' herself of something but obviously I have a wrong kinds of arthritis. :) If it could be done it would be done and this forum wouldn't exist but, sadly, it does because there is only so much diet can do. I find that acidic foods exacerbate my osteoarthritis and nothing apart from the medical drugs suppresses my over-active immune system which fires up my psoriatic arthritis. I have no doubt that some may be helped but I suspect they don't have arthritis as such, just the usual aches and pains of ageing. We need to eat sensibly with a good, fresh and balanced diet, regularly exercise (sometimes very gently) and keep well-hydrated to help our bodies cope with the stress of dealing with this disease.

I think this is a natural response to a new diagnosis, especially if one is coming at it from a background of good health. If you are not used to taking any form of medication then yes, it must be a shock that it must now be done. As Sticky says, we are vulnerable to those who wish to exploit our fears and hopes. I've been there and done that before I knew what was actually going on and the disease continued its relentless progress regardless because this is what it does.

It never ceases to amaze me about how little people understand about arthritis. A neighbour recently had a new hip and is doing remarkably well. She told me to get my hip done but I said that it was a little more complicated in that I had many affected joints. She goggled at me and said 'What? You can get it in more than one joint?' Oh to be such an innocent! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I too looked at this one, but it was ruled out because my gut didn't think much to it. Also I believe it is aimed at OA, and if you're taking meth then it might not be appropriate as different problems?
    Some of the things suggested as alternatives or natural cures may help some folk, but serve to remind us of how much we are individuals as some will feel benefit and others nothing. I had no help from glucasamine+chondroitin(and again my gut didn't like it) but another lady on the AC course I attended had had excellent results - much to her surprise as she had been sceptical.
    Whatever you decide, as had been said do check with pharmacist(probably best informed) and GP to avoid potential interaction problems(see grapefruit thread!)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    daffy - just to complicate things further - sometimes it's the coating, not the actial pill, that guts object to. A brand change can help. But still it's best to check with the pharmacist for potential interactions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LynneS
    LynneS Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, they aren't a surprise, but I had to ask.

I guess the questions are part of my acceptance process :roll:

Thanks again
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Lynne,

Ask as many questions as you like - it`s the best way to find out things!

Eating sensibly is a fairly obvious course of action, but Margaret Hills, whatever diet she advocates, cannot cure RA. When I was on MTX my taste buds went a bit haywire, but returned to normal when it was stopped for other reasons.

Take care.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Lynne
    I am a great believer there is something out there that can help, maybe not cure..I keep a food diary just to see what things aggravate my joints .
    There are some brilliant natural medicine and if I was you give them a try and keep a diary..what doesn't work for one could work for another..let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    daffy - just to complicate things further - sometimes it's the coating, not the actial pill, that guts object to
    Yes, and then there's the junk they pad the pill out with.....sweeteners, fillers etc.Why do you have to have all that in something you swallow without chewing or tasting?
    I did try a different brand, as there was the added complication of a shellfish allergy to take into account(the animal based one is reckoned to be more effective - if it's going to work-but may cause problems if allergy is present)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I would say try other things {after checking that they wont clash with any other meds you take} and as long as they don't cost a fortune ...why not? OK they may not work but they may.
    Nothing will cure arthritis but if it gives you relief I'm all for it

Love
    Hileena