Options
2»

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Daffy

My GP dished out the Calceos to me but I went back to him and we discussed the calcium issue and he agreed that I did in fact get enough calcium from my diet and only prescribed me a VitD med from then on. I had requested a VitD blood test which after he had investigated this request learned that if one is dx with OP it should automatically follow that this test be authorised. (I knew this but could not actually tell him that ;)) My result was very good, which I was pleased about.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Hi Elna. Is it only if one is diagnosed with osteoporosis that the Vitamin D test is authorised? Maybe not for osteopenia, then?

Meg
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Megrose

I am not sure but I can not really see why it would not apply to osteopenia as well because this diagnosis is really a wake up call to make certain lifestyle changes to try to avoid osteoporosis. (I wish I had had that "warning".) ;)

As we know these lifestyle changes include weight-bearing exercise, quitting smoking, not drinking excessively, and ensuring an adequate daily intake of calcium and vitamin D. In order to know if help is needed with change to diet regarding obtaining enough calcium either naturally or with a substitute, the same goes for Vit D, so really both have to be talked about and checked out so you know what you are up against. That would be what I would put forward to the GP if he tries to brush it to one side.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Thanks Elna. That's really helpful.

Meg
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Megrose

I wish you all the very best with your appointment. I admire the way you have given it a great deal of thought and I hope that your GP will be of the same mind and you can work as a team. GPs are not always too knowledgeable about Osteopenia/Osteoporisis (they know a little about a lot of symptoms unless they have a certain medical interest) so it is well worth finding out a few things beforehand. Knowledge is power.

All good wishes to you
    Elna

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    With both my VitD tests I came up against the dirty word 'money'. The test is expensive I was told. My arguments for the first one were 1. fractures are expensive 2. OP medication is expensive, especially if a deficiency renders it less effective 3. calcium intake whether dietary or supplement is much less effective without adequate VitD, 4. I have no way of knowing my levels without testing.My persistence was justified when the results came back. When I requested a follow up a year later the(different) GP thought it was a good idea and was then surprised to find that her computer was telling her that such tests were limited due to cost. In fact the GP in charge of the budget was supposed to see me and try and dissuade me, but the incompetence of the reception staff meant that I didn't get the message until after the test was done.
    And yes it's a stupid and self-defeating stance by the NHS, especially as for most folks OTC supplements would do the job once diagnosed, at low cost to the patient compared with prescription, and obviously none to the NHS. As both OP and VitD deficiency rise up the agenda it may change the current attitude eventually.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    When I had my first DEXA scan I asked if I would get the results there an then. I was told that the radiographer can't translate what she sees into results. That has to be done by someone else. When my doctor got my results, they were very cryptic and neither of us could understand them. When your GP gets your results, go to NOS (National Osteoporosis Society) and sign up for their forums, someone might be able to translate them for you. They are very experienced on there and know their stuff. Good Luck.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein