Have to undergo Carpul Tunnel surgery

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 14. May 2015, 06:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have to have open carpul tunnel release surgery next week and wanted to ask if anyone on the forums has had this done and most important to me how long was the recovery.

I have heard horror stories of not being able to wipe your own bottom and things so just looking for a bit of advise.
I asked the surgeon and he told me it could take up to 2-3 months for recovery then when I asked a nurse they said 1-2 weeks which has confused me.

Thanks for any advice, just looking for advice from someone who has had this done, Thanks.

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The lovely DreamDaisy has this done and I'm sure she'll be along at so e point to share her words of wisdom. In the mean time, just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your OP.
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks Starburst - Feeling a bit anxious on the recovery time as I don't want to much down time in respect of using my hand.

Thanks everyone :)
  • vickyb17uk
    vickyb17uk Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there

Just quick reply as to your post, I too have had a carpal tunnel release on my right hand (dominent hand) I work in an office and in the end had to have about 6 weeks off. I found the first 3 days or so the worst (probably because of dominant hand) and having to get used to using my left hand more. I cant say other than the first night i was in a huge amount of pain, was alot less than i thought it was going to be actually. First night was particularly bad but i dont think it helped the fact that although i had a friend come with me and i had planned to stay there a few days (so my partner could work) i had about a 45 min drive back to hers and after getting there a little bit of a drama with her mum not being well. Once i had got through that first night i was good. just had to try slow down a bit and take it easy, and yes for the first few days i was told not to use the hand atall but to keep it raised at all times.
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I have had both done. The first 23 years ago, open surgery. Back to work after 5 weeks, no physio required and no problems at all since surgery. The second one was 18 years ago, not quite as quick return to work but I blame not being able to stay in overnight that time to reduce the swelling. It's never as easy at home. Open surgery again. Again fab recovery and no physio required. I have not had single problem since with either wrist. My OA in my thumbs is probably not related to this surgery but hereditary factors and many years of coaching trampolining and gymnastics.
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Im just worried about not being able to do things like wash hair and bum wiping after a number 2 :oops: as crude as it may sound its what people have told me but they havent had it done.

People say they are trying to scaremonger but certainly got me thinking, Its starting to feel numb in my hand typing this :roll:

Thanks again.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had both done at the same time. Of all the ops I have had this was by far the easiest and most straightforward (and accompanied by Radio 2 which was horrendous). I recall feeling a little envious of those who just had the one hand done : within a month they were allowed to drive and work because they didn't have arthritis, I suspect might be a little different for the likes of us.

My husband 'allegedly' took a fortnight off work to care for me. I remember that care very well, especially when he promised to make me a cuppa after sending an email. Three hours later he sheepishly reappeared, admitting he had been 'distracted'. :wink: He was, however, very thoughtful about caring for other matters: I couldn't wash myself, wash my hair or do other necessary things thanks to two fat dressings so we cheerfully explored new depths to our marriage :D I spent around a month drinking everything via a straw with him holding the vessels, for the first week he fed me until I decided that enough was enough and damn the consequences of feeding myself. Four years on and so far so good.

I suspect you are having your dominant hand done so now might be the time to start learning to use the other for some tasks. Since mine were done I have had no carpal trouble at all. Operations are far from fun but in my book this was comparatively easy. I hope yours goes well and forget what others have experienced; I daresay you will make a far better fist of it - so to speak. :wink: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks for the posts, Im just curious of not being able to wipe my own bottom :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I've never had carpal tunnel surgery but I have, on (thankfully few) occasions, had difficulties in that area.

Post surgery I've had to accept help from nurses, who were far more used to giving such help than I was to receiving it.

As my RA affects both shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers, for normal life I bought a bottom wiper from my local disability shop. I hardly ever use it but it's there just as a precaution.

I'm sorry, I can't remember which joints your arthritis affects but, provided you have one good arm, I don't see why this should be an issue for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry no advice Justin..but want to wish you well with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    I had it done on Tuesday, they did it by local anaesthetic so I was awake and did it by open procedure. first night was sore but not to bad today although still a bit of pain mainly where the incision was made, just got to keep fingers moving, It wasn't as bad as I thought just typing with left hand is a pain. The whole thing took just 7 minutes and with stiffness thanks to Arthritis found it a bit hard work cleaning after using the loo for number two :roll: but manageable without needing help.

I am glad I had it done now, as it would of only got worse and the hospital was excellent (NHS)

They did pick up on my blood pressure being quite high which I have been having problems with, so had to get something for that yesterday as they advised me to go back to GP, I have to have the other hand done when this one heals but that's not on my main hand so should be better to live with post op.

Stitches out in 12 days and follow up appointment in 6 weeks. If anyone has been told to have this surgery I would have it done as its a quick procedure and for me the symptoms have gone right away.

Just thought to give you an update - Thanks again for the replies everyone.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thanks for the update, Justin. I hope the recovery goes as well as the surgery.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright