Hip problems

Options
brightlinda
brightlinda Member Posts: 16
edited 10. May 2015, 05:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I haven't posted anything since January when I had a fracture of my fibula. Since then the fracture has healed, I have had a bone density scan, sciatica, an MRI scan. Now my GP tells me to be extremely careful as it appears my hip is in a parlous state. So I am awaiting an appointment with the orthopaedic consultant with regard to a hip replacement. To say I am not having the best of years would be something of an understatement. Is there anyone else who have had a similar experience? One positive from all this is I feel that my GP is really excelling in my care. Looking forward to a good summer.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you fractured your fibula but good that it has healed and also good that you were given the MRI and bone density scan.

I've never broken any bones but I (and many more on here) have had very successful hip replacements. It's a very common operation with a very high success rate. I hope you'll soon be adding to that :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough time. Good luck with your ortho appointment, and a good GP is worth his/her weight in gold.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've never broken any bones

Senior moment there :roll: . One hip was replaced precisely because it was broken. I still don't really know how though. I hadn't fallen. They think it was a rare RA thing.
    Steven Wright
  • brightlinda
    brightlinda Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi all, Thanks for your responses in particular 'Stickywicket' , would you be kind enough to elaborate about your hip fracture that resulted in the replacement especially the areas where you had pain prior to the fracture many thanks Linda
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Of course I will but I really don't think it'll be of much use to you.

The fact is, in that hip I had no pain, no problems until I woke up one morning with a lot of pain all over the area. I suddenly couldn't walk properly. I could only bring the affected leg up level with the other, not in front of it. After three days, I couldn't stand on it or raise it up to get it onto the bed, even with my husband trying to lift both legs together. I think I actually screamed with the pain :oops: as the ambulance went, as gently as possible, over road bumps. It was broken.

They said I'd probably had a cyst on the joint which had burst and taken a lot of the joint with it. All I know is they put a new hip in and I've had no problems since. That was about 20 years ago.

My other hip just deteriorated the normal way. I had the usual hip pain - groin and top of buttock. That, too, was replaced and has given little trouble since.

If you're offered a new hip I suggest you go for it. What's to lose? (Apart from one old hip :lol: )
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Linda...
    You have been having a bad time, I have had one THR but mine was straightforward ..I do wish you well with everything..
    Love
    Barbara