'Not illegal'

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 21. May 2015, 02:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
I see that the delays in awarding PIP have been ruled 'not illegal'.

That may be so but surely they are immoral.

And isn't that precisely what much of the election kerfuffle was about? ie the electorate are sick of politicians of all parties getting away with what they can regardless of ethics.

Is 'not illegal' as high as they aspire to?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The wording 'not illegal' will be all that matters to our politicians and they will see this as a victory. That the long delay causes so much suffering does not appear to matter at all and there are never any apologies for the suffering endured just excuses when people complain.

There just doesn't seem to be any compassion anymore.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Compassion is very rarely seen these days, in an increasingly selfish society, and MPs are no exception.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well said all of you , I do think theyare starting has they mean to go on... :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    They are very clever at alleging things are not strictly speaking illegal - look at their expenses fiasco! That was going on for YEARS!

I certainly think the delays are immoral :(
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I am planning to write to my MP, a certain IDS about the possibility of disability benefits being taxed and the unfairness of being turned down for the mobility component of PIP due to assumptions made about my ability to work. He doesn't do email! When/if I get a response I will pass it on.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Actually, one of my friends applied for PIP and one week later the award came through. She was amazed it was so quick. I wonder how long it will be before she begins receiving it though. :?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    When did morality ever come into politics? Ask those migrants floating around south east Asia.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    If the politicians can get away with things they will do it! my grant for the stair lift has been blown out the water because they wanted to look at my OH finances! This was never mentioned from my O.T and I can't understand why it has to do with my OH it's me the disabled one who requires the grant not my OH! It's funny how things where going along fine before the election and everyone was sure I would get the grant and now a couple of weeks after the election I get a call asking for my OH's finances! It proves now the Conservatives are in fully everything is going tit's up!
  • stickywicket
    I'm fairly sure a grant towards any big expense such as a stairlift has always been subject to household income. I know that applied to a friend who wanted to make her kitchen more wheelchair friendly and also to me when I was wondering how to make our bathroom easier.

To be honest I think it's only fair that it should be so.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Grants towards stairlifts have always been means-tested here - we never even applied for a grant as it would have been pointless - not that we`re rich, just not needy enough to have one provided, which is fair enough.

Someone with whom I have a passing acquaintance had all sorts of alterations/adaptations done through the Teachers Benevolent Society, having only actually taught for just over three years. Everything we`ve done we`ve done off our own bat - apart from a grip rail on the bed, which I was given when I could barely move. They never asked for it back so it`s still in situ, and I really miss it when I`m away from home.
  • stickywicket
    Obviously someone who missed his / her vocation. Should have been an investment banker - they're actually paid to rip people off :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The millstones of anything concerning benefits and grants grind exceeding slow. When I applied for DLA back in the early 2000s I was amazed to be granted it on my word only (they did not contact my GP or consultant) and I think that took around three months all those years ago. Now all the systems connected with health and benefits are creaking under the strain of an increasing population, new applicants, appealing applicants and an ever-increasing level of expectations within the populace about their 'entitlement' and 'rights'.

It makes sense to me that those who apply for the more expensive pieces of equipment should be means-tested so they can contribute part of the cost. I suppose one argument against that is that if they are employed they have already paid tax for this kind of thing but income tax has to cover so much more than just the NHS and benefits. Attitudes have changed so much in my lifetime - my Ma was not able to claim Child Benefit until she had a second child. I was an only and my parents thought the rule entirely reasonable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben