keep falling

Options
ImGazhughes
ImGazhughes Member Posts: 18
edited 19. May 2015, 14:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, im just after advice, I have a shattered heal its been 16 years and the last 2 years I started to stumble, its like my ankle gives way, the pain feels worse thn when I first had my accident but it literally is only for a second then I lift my leg, shake it and it gets better. It used to only happen about once every two months but now it happens about 4 times a day, its really become quite depressing but the docs dont know wat it is so thought someone might, im 36 and look quite fit so when I stumble I must look like a clumsy idiot lol. Anyway I have a fusion booked for 16th ov June as I can no longer cope with the pain, let alone the falling but thought id ask around. I thought netve but it does geel a bit like my bone clicks out ov place??

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't have what you have but I do find tripping and stumbling very easy to do: in my case it's because I do not life my feet high enough to avoid low obstacles such as uneven pavements, mats or door sills. I have turned into Gerald Ford in that I can no longer 'chew gum and walk at the same time'. :wink: I have to concentrate when walking, I think we all have to become a little more vigilant because leg pain in any joint inhibits our walking as we alter how we move to lessen the hurt - a normal response to any physical discomfort.

Do you have any numbness or symptoms such as pins and needles? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I used to get something similar with my knees before they were replaced. Suddenly the joint didn't seem to be where it was supposed to be (possibly because it wasn't :lol: ) and the leg just went. I'd have to stand for a minute or so (on the other leg) before I could very carefully walk again.

If your ankle was shattered 16 years ago you've done incredibly well to make it last all this time. When the docs say they don't know what it is my guess is they just don't know the full mechanics of the thing and don't care much. You have a duff ankle and it needs fusing. That should stop any unwanted movement and I hope it solves the problem.

In the meantime you could try a stick just to give you a bit more confidence in staying upright. A walker's pole would look less 'old'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi..there are ankle support out there, maybe these would help till your fusion , good luck with the op..and please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara