occupational therapist visit

Chazmoore
Chazmoore Member Posts: 12
edited 20. May 2015, 14:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
The occupational therapist is visiting me next week. I was wanting some advice on what to ask for and what I am entitled to. Does anyone know if it is possible to ask for a adjustable bed etc. I am at my worst in the mornings and find it very hard getting up out of bed. Many thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 26,023
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    All local authorities have their own rules about these things but for something as expensive as an adjustable bed I think the likelihood is you (ie you and your husband / partner) would be means tested. You're more likely to get offered a grab rail or bed rail to help you get up.

I find OTs really kind, listening and helpful but, for big expenses, you're only likely to get a grant towards it.

Please let's know how it goes.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,567
    I have no idea what you may be entitled to but if by an adjustable bed you mean an electric one I reckon that won't be forthcoming - they are very expensive. I was given a raised toilet seat, a board to place across the bath for me to sit on whilst showering and new handrails for both flights of stairs; other stuffI need I provide for myself. I hope they can help you with some useful things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 26,397
    Lucy had a second handrail, bath seat, raised loo seat.

Without a doubt though she will see what she can possibly do to help. OTs are usually extremely helpful :)

Don't forget help in the kitchen too if you have problems there

Toni x
    Love

Toni xxx