Update on my nausea

valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 22. Jun 2015, 13:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thanks to all for help and advice. Thought I would let you know how this week went with my changes.
I stopped the Vit D one a day which was a high dose not taken since 13th May , also stopped the Cod Liver Oil one a day.
Had one week break from meth and hydroxy. Spoke to Rheumy nurse.
Started meth on Sunday again and took the 10 tablets over the course of the whole day two at a time.
Did not take hydroxy on Sunday but started this again on Monday.
I have now reached Thursday and have had no nausea.
I am going to continue this regime and hope that the problem is solved, fingers crossed !
Mind you solve one problem and another one appears, very painful left foot for last few days and weak ankle.
Having problem with shoes and what to wear on my feet in the house but have found some suggestions on here so will start to google and hope this is just a flare.
I don't normally have to take too much naproxen but have resorted to this since my foot started.
Thanks again for a great forum don't know what I would do without it, it has helped me through this rough time.

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm glad to hear you have found a way to take your meds that work for you! I suspect your pain might be due to your short break in the meth, hopefully things will settle down for you soon.

The body is such a weird thing and life would be so much easier if we all reacted the same to medications, but sadly we don't and I'm glad to hear you have found a solution so quickly.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Glad to hear the nausea is settling, hope it goes on that way.
    Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am pleased that things may be settling for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done, valde! You saw it through and now appear to be reaping the rewards. I hope the new regime continues to work well. You deserve it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Sounds like you've cracked it Valde :)

I am so pleased for you!

Love

Toni xxx
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Good job Valde, congrats for hanging in there. Hope your foot pain settles down too. It may take some time to find out the right footwear for you, but it’s worth trying. Good luck.
  • valde
    Well I am back again, really thought I had solved problem of the nausea but it reared its ugly head again yesterday Sunday my meth day and has gone on throughout today. Just left message for Rheumy nurse so hopefully will get some advice tomorrow. It feels that the meth tabs are not disolving properly and I am not digesting them even the following day it feels like they are sitting there. I was OK up until a few months ago so can't work out the problem. I have tried most nausea remedies but feel I need more medic help now. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for listening.
  • stickywicket
    You are doing the right thing by contacting your rheumatology nurse. No point in soldiering on forever. I'm sure the tablets will be dissolving but it sounds as if they are causing ongoing stomach problems. Please let us know how you get on, valde.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I haven't got RA - I am one of the "lucky" individuals who have been selected to be partner to OA, so therefore I'm not on the sorts of drugs that you are. However, I wanted to say I hope you get this sorted quickly and I hope you feel better soon.

Good luck with your phone call, please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • valde
    Thanks to all for your posts. Feel awful today nauseas and headache but Rheumy nurse has just phoned to say she is speaking to my consultant about changing me to meth injections she says these bypass the gut and will definitely help or take away the nausea. I should get a call in a couple of days if he agrees and then training. I will look on here about the injections but any suggestions would help. Thanks again for your support. X Hope you are having a good morning
  • stickywicket
    That sounds like a good outcome. I know the injections have solved the nausea problem for many on here. Here are soe former threads on it. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=methotrexate+injections
    Steven Wright
  • valde
    Thanks sticky I will have a good read.
  • valde
    Thanks for info page Sticky its very helpful. I had a call this morning and am going for injection training at 1pm tomorrow and will collect medication as well. Told to bring shopping bag and tuppa box !

So quick thought I would have to wait until next week. Hopefully all will go well fingers crossed. Suppose its like anything else we have to get used to it and if the nausea goes that will be a really good bonus.

Do we have to inject once a week or each day ? and does medication come on prescription from GP like the tabs.

I know they will explain tomorrow but if anyone has time and answers I will be grateful so I am a bit prepared.

Thank you
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Valde,

I inject once a week (Friday), it's really simple and I soon got used to doing it. For me it helped reduce side effects, though I have had problems since my dose increased a month ago. My injections are delivered to my home every 8 weeks, ordered by the rheumy nurse, along with everything else needed like a sharps bin for used metoject pens, and small plasters to cover the puncture wound.

I had 4 training sessions with the rheumy nurse before being signed off to do it at home, and was given lots of reassurance and information.

Really hope it helps you.

Deb x
  • valde
    Thanks Deb for your reassurance and info. Will let you all know how I get on. Must admit felt braver yesterday than I do this morning but that will pass I just keep thinking of the awful nausea and the chance for it to go away.
  • dreamdaisy
    This sounds like a good move for you, Valde, and I hope it helps. Another person on here, Pedz, has just begun injected meth, his thread is fairly recent so that may give you some helpful information. From the sounds of it you will be on the individual pre-filled syringes (that's how I began, they were stored in a Tupperware box clearly labelled CYTOTOXIC) and you will be given everything you need. It's a straightforward process and you do it weekly. Good luck! DD
  • valde
    Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I went to hospital for the training this afternoon. Did the injection after a few practice runs and they said I could phone if I had any problems. I was given the prefilled pens large chunky ones, and an extremely large sharps box. She gave me 3 months supply of the pens and said to phone and reorder when I have just 4 pens left. I then will have to go to the hospital to collect these as she did not mention delivery. Thats OK though if it does become a problem I will let them know. She said that I should not have the nausea with the injections so I am hopeful. Am to continue with hydroxy and 1 folic acid a week (that will be reviewed as I get on with the injections) and of course continue with the blood tests. Thanks DD I will look at Pedz comments on forum. Thank you all once again for digging me out of yet another hole !!! and listening to my moans.
  • dreamdaisy
    I was switched to the pens and find them very easy and the sharps has to be large because they are bulky things! Your situation regarding the kit sounds better in that you and your hospital are in communication rather than having to deal with a faceless (and occasionally useless) home delivery network. Good luck with this week, let us know how it goes. DD
  • stickywicket
    Well done, valde, and thanks for the update. Hope it all goes smoothly.
    Steven Wright
  • valde
    Hello
    Thought I would let you know I had my first mtx injection last Friday at hospital training and did not have any nausea last week. I injected this morning (nurse said I could change to Sundays as its better suited for me) and it went ok. I was a bit nervous but am sure I will get used to it. Hopefully the nausea will be kicked into touch, fingers crossed. Thanks to all for your support x
  • stickywicket
    I do hope so, valde, and well done for self-injecting. It must be a bit scary at first.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    This is sounding more positive, Valde, and I hope it works in more ways than easing the nausea. I wish you well. DD