Nerve Block

Options
rayray
rayray Member Posts: 115
edited 6. Jun 2015, 05:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I am sorry I haven't been helpful supporting others. Using the keyboard is rather painful at the moment and I've been reserving my energy for work. All that has changed now though as we have sold our business as I can no longer manage it due to this horrible condition. Wrapping things up at work now so in a few weeks I can take things easy.

On Thursday I am having a nerve block in my neck. I can't wait! I am so exhausted from this constant pain. Trying to carry on as best I can but really struggling. Have been running a community choir for the last two years. Not conducting but doing all the organising, geting people to join, organising concerts etc. Finding it so hard now and having to stop as my energy levels are so low. I sometimes feel I am giving up on everything but not sure what else to do. I so hope this nerve block confirms they have found the source of the problem and I can get it sorted out.

Pocket duties please! :D

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, you do sound in a rough place :( . I really hope the nerve block delivers the relief you need and you can move forward more positively. Giving up stuff is always hard, but maybe new horizons will open up, things that are different but equally fulfilling for you. in the meantime sending hugs ((((((( ))))))))).

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Things sound really tough for you at the moment - I do hope you can get some relief from the nerve block. I can empathise with you over having to give things up - it's hard to have to stop doing something you love.

Take care.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello rayray
    I am sorry you are suffering like this, and having to give up your business..I will have everything crossed that this nerve blocks works for you..and good luck for the future..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I do hope the block works well for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I really hope that the nerve block works well for you - I will be thinking of you on Thursday, do let us know how things go
    Best wishes
    Julie
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, I sincerely hope this nerve block succeeds in giving you the much needed relief. It is very important in our disease, to understand where to stop and limit ourselves. Taking this decision must not be easy for you but, I wish you control the situation and make yourself ready for new ventures those are within your capabilities.
    Many doctors use nerve blocks as a diagnostic tool, to determine if your pain is actually coming from the sympathetic nervous system. If you get pain relief from this block, doctor may recommend additional nerve blocks or other forms of pain therapy to target the sympathetic nerves. I am sure you must have got all the instruction from your clinic before procedure; occasionally you may be sore or have more pain before you feel better. Nerve blocks may take a few days to 2 weeks to help with pain. You can use ice for normal discomfort after a nerve block. Take it easy and avoid strenuous activity at least for 24-48 hours after nerve block. I wish you recover soon and move forward with more energy.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just to say don't put ice on your neck unless told you can do so as it can cause fainting.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks for all your support. It has been a tough week pain wise.

I had the nerve block yesterday and wow! I was in terrible pain while waiting to go in, couldn't read as it was too uncomfortable. Had the procedure which wasn't pleasant but I coped. The local numbed the neck and shoulder area and all pain went. This wore off during the night and I'm a bit sore but already feel better than I did.

I'm keeping everything crossed that the steroid works for a few weeks and that they can then fix the problem so I can go back to work and drive again. In the meantime I plan to enjoy the sun and help Hubby in the garden. x
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm really pleased that it went well and that you are feeling better already. Just take it easy and don't do too much in the garden !!
    Best wishes
    Julie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Well done Rayray

I really hope you get relief for a good while :)

Don't overdo it though will you :wink:

Love

Toni xxx