Found out!

Options
LynneS
LynneS Member Posts: 26
edited 4. Jun 2015, 05:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
H Guys

As you know I'm new to this inflammatory arthritis lark, and not at all good about drug taking!! Although reading the posts about you guys overcoming/embracing your needle phobias, I probably just need to give myself a talking to :roll:

The first registrar I saw prescribed Plaquenil, which I took reluctantly, as I was fretful about the potential side effects with eyes.

I had a follow up appointment, following an ultrasound on my hands, and a month on the Plaq, and saw the head Rhuematologist who prescribed meth. When I was leaving the room, I asked if I had to keep taking the Plaq and the answer was yes! Anyways............ I visited my Doctor a week later to try and make sense of it all and told her I was really unhappy to be taking two lots of drugs and why couldn't I just try the meth to start with. She agreed so I stopped the Plaq.

To cut a long story short I saw the Rhuemy nurse yesterday, she took me through the ultrasound result, examined my hands, disappeared to see the consultant, came back and said I have to take the Plaquenil too.

I don't know why I feel so strongly about taking the Plaq, but I do! I guess I'm looking for some reassurance. Have any of you taken Meth and Plaq together? How have you found it? Did you manage to wean yourself off one or the other?

Sorry if I'm coming over like a 'petulant child', I guess I feel a bit like one when it comes to the Plaq :roll:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Better to be reluctant than an inveterate pill gobbler :wink: but plaquenil is a very mild DMARD and, provided you have your regulare eye tests, is unlikely to cause problems. I've taken the two meds together for years and they do a good job in tandem.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

Taking lots of meds is concerning, but I guess for me it comes down to weighing up benefits and risks, and rampant RA is worse than the possible side effects for me, so I take Plaquinel, Sulphasalazine and methotrexate-triple therapy. Research has shown that triple therapy is effective so I'm hanging in there, though I have to admit it sometimes gets me down and I treat myself to a couple of days off!

Only you can make decisions about your body, but having grown up with a grandma who had rampant RA in the days when aspirin was pretty well the only drug, and watched her gradually get more and more disabled, I count myself lucky to live in a time when there are so many effective drugs, and my health care professionals look after me so well.

Deb xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi,

I take Plaquenil alongside humira, and it`s funny, I really don`t like taking it for the same reasons as you, worry about my eyesight. I can no longer knit, due to uncooperative hands & shoulders, so I read and/or do crosswords instead. I am an avid reader - can`t bear to be without a book. However, I have regular eye tests, and would stop taking the Plaq if there was the slightest deterioration - but, so far, so good, so I continue to swallow the Plaq.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello LynneS
    Sorry I cant offer any advice but I do understand how you must feel, I suppose you have to have faith in your rheumy..maybe another chat is on the cards...I do wish you well with whatever you decide...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I guess you have found out what many of us on here already know. :( It's tough and very unfair that we need more than one drug but many of us live in an horrid world; this might change if you find the right combination to suit. In my nineteen arthritic years I know of two people who had their symptoms controlled to an excellent degree by just one medication; one had RA and spasmodically posted on here (but hasn't been seen for some time because there is no need ) and the other is a friend in real-life who has the same form of auto-immune arthritis as me (PsA). The former was on a very small dose of meth, the latter takes one of my DMARDs, sulphasalazine. He is still in full-time-self-employment but moans about the impact on his life and so he should but preferably not to me because I could be done for assault. :|

For those of us who do this nonsense properly :wink: one drug is rarely enough. There is a difference between the DMARDs and NSAIDs in what they do and achieve - many of us on here with a form of auto-immune arthritis take more than one medication because we wish things to be controlled as well as possible. I know my triple therapy is working because my bloods are lovely; at least one bit of me is pleasing someone. :lol: The OA that has occurred thanks to the non-visible joint damage caused by my PsA is a different matter. And then there's the fibro. I am today of a very uncertain temper thanks to pain, tiredness and stupid weather.

None of us autos on here take the meds or do the injections through choice but we understand it's the wisest thing to do if we wish to tackle our strong diseases at their root. I have witnessed first-hand the difference that early diagnosis and taking of the meds can make to someone. When I first joined the rheumatology gang I was still walking with ease and wondering what had happened to those with walking aids, weird lumps and odd-shaped joints. Now I am the one with the walking aids but I don't' have to contend with the other factors. Those who are younger than me stroll in and out of their appointments with the greatest of ease, not a stick in sight. That is how it should be.

Arthritis takes much from us and gives little in return. I had one major episode of a side effect and felt perfectly OK throughout, it was my bloods that showed the trouble. As I was on holiday I chose to sulk for England when I had to go for an emergency blood test: that was not in my plans. That taught me a useful lesson! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    They may want you to take both for the moment as it can take up to 3 months for the math to work, I have in the past taken both of these meds and have had no problems - just remember to have your eyes tested regularly . I would ring your rhuemy nurse so you know why both have been prescribed. You have every right to question treatments that you are offered -I'm exactly the same , I feel that it at least gives me a bit of control!
    Good luck
    Julie
  • LynneS
    LynneS Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies and your patience with me :oops:

I have spoken to my GP and my meds are sorted and on repeat.

I guess if I'm being kind to myself about my rather self-centered and potentially insensitive post, I'm still in a little bit of denial about my diagnosis, but that's no excuse for being crass!!

Thanks again for your replies, going forward my plan is to come into the forum with as much kindness, good grace and humour that you guys do on a daily basis.

L x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ummmm, we can do that because we have had years of experience (aren't we the lucky ones? :wink: ) Seriously, it must be hard for you because you are new to all of this but, once upon a time, we too were all new. For some it was a shock, for others it's more of the same. I am sure you wont' see it this way but the fact that the meds are there (and can make things better) has to be a good thing. Our disease lacks the drama and 'glamour' of others, its ubiquity doesn't help and neither does the lack of knowledge about its triggers and the fact that little can be done to make things better.

You know where we are should you need us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, the current trend is to have a multi-modal approach in RA treatment. These combinations of drugs are used for patients with RA whose disease has not responded well to a single drug or to two drugs. One of the reasons why many rheumy believed on this is, there is strong research backup behind. You will also find some studies which support the use of combination of meth and plaq over mono-therapy with meth as it is proved to be better in terms of tolerance and good effects.

Plaquenil works well, but very slowly. You will need to give it at least a 6 months trial, and don't expect much in the way of results for a couple of months. But since you are getting it through combination, you may be the lucky one who responds early. It can cause trouble to your eyes; though the chance of damage to the eyes with Plaquenil is extremely slim, better to be vigilant and do eye checks regularly.

Best wishes,
    Jaclyn.