Cannot believe what I just heard!!

angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 18. Jun 2015, 02:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember I have been having issues with the back of my knee for some while now and as a result was referred to a NHS physio..he has recently reviewed an MRI scan I had done. Nothing has showed up on this scan...so I say to him..could it be something to do with the arthritis in my knee? He said "you do not have any arthritis in your knee" although my GP told me 3 years ago that I did. The scan was there in front of my eyes on the screen, and he talked me through it from all angles. There is definitely no arthritis showing on here he said..WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS GOING ON..I nearly fell off the chair!! I am set on challenging the GP over this..my other half says not to, but I am so angry and confused that this has happened.

Any advice please
Angilee

Comments

• juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wonder why your GP diagnosed you -was it from x rays ? I would definitely make an appointment with your doctor to find out what's going on , I can totally understand your frustration.
    Good luck
    Julie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can't recall your exact situation or what kind of arthritis you have, I apologise. :oops: A couple of thoughts spring to my mind: physios shouldn't diagnose and were they your pictures? It's not unknown for he wrong things to be flashed up and discussed in all earnestness with the wrong patient. I hope you can get to the bottom of this without too much difficulty. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Advice? Well, I wouldn't exactly 'challenge' the GP :o You're assuming that he is wrong and the physio right. As DD says, physios aren't usually experts in interpreting scans though of course they will pick up some pointers with experience. I wonder who arranged the scan. If an orthopaedic surgeon then he should have been the one to read and interpret it and, if so, your GP will have his report.

As I recall, you have arthritis in your back and hips. If so, you could have pain in your knees (back or front) simply because you are walking awkwardly, due to pain elsewhere. Alternatively, you might, indeed, also have arthritis in your knees. Mine s RA but it has never surprised me when it has surfaced in yet another joint. :roll: Nor have I expected anything to change re my treatment. And it hasn't :lol: other than, maybe, some extra physio.

My plan would be to go to the GP to find out (if possible. It might not be) exactly what is going on where and, maybe, what the report on the MRI said. I see no point in being confrontational. Whether or not you have arthritis in your knees you do have it elsewhere so nothing will change treatment-wise. I hope the physio exercises help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jen
    Jen Member Posts: 155
    Angilee

I am pondering from another viewpoint.

3 years ago you had arthritis in your knee, it showed on the xray and your doc talked you through it.

Your recent xray shows no arthritis in the knee.

1. Is it the same knee?

2. Can you ask your doc to confirm its the same knee and the original xray definitely was your knee xray and had not been confused with someone elses.

3. If its your same knee and both definitely your xrays, and 2nd xray is no longer showing arthritis....... hooray, that's great news :)

My question is, can you please communicate what you have been doing for the past 3 years that you weren't doing previously that may have affected this change? ie supplements, which, exercise, what sort? etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    flower2520paars.gif~c200
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, Angilee, we're a couple of weeks on now since your post so how are things going? Has anything been resolved? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben