Monday was good but downhill from then

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 10. Jun 2015, 11:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went back to work Monday after half-term and had a good meeting with my head as we started to plan for next term and changes to my role. Liked it when he said"You're going to be hard to manage next term....I'm going to have to make sure you don't try to do 5 days work in 3."

I've also been offered an extra days work a term by the LA running the termly dyslexia link meetings.

Tuesday I got a compliment from a social worker on my work on a case which was successfully closed that day.

BUT, I struggled in Thursday because of important meetings and ended up being told to go home at lunchtime by colleagues as I was practically crying with pain, and I'd also let slip I'd nearly fallen downstairs that morning.

Still off today, the pain in my arms, elbows, wrists etc is the worst it's ever been, neuro pain not Arthritis, and I'm getting worried my neck is getting worse as the pain there is now going up into the back of my neck and it's started clicking again.

Feeling fed up and stressed about it all especially as these next 6 weeks are my busiest of the year.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Slosh, I`m so sorry to hear this - great news in one breath, then a crushing bout of pain in the next.

I`m not sure what pain control you have - sorry, memory not great these days - but perhaps a visit to your GP is in order?

I hope the pain lessens for you - fingers metaphorically crossed here, and good vibes from me to you.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Current pain meds are Duloxetine , paracetamol and Meptazinol which is the same type of drug as Tramadol. I have managed to get an appointment for Monday, but not with my usual GP. If things are better by then I can cancel and make one with him. If I'm still bad I will discuss posibly increasing the dose of Duloxetine and in the shorter term having a course of Oxycodone to get me through the next few weeks.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I hope you can get some good rest over the weekend. It sounds like a really good start to your week, so hopefully next week will have some good stuff too. It's grand to hear that you had good support from your head, maybe he's starting to understand a bit more now.

Deb x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It's a cliche but this pain malarkey is a rollercoaster ride. I'm glad your head is finally working with you and using your strengths to your advantage. He's right, don't overdo it. Keep pacing yourself. Use the weekend to rest, take care of yourself and even sneak in some relaxation and maybe do something special for yourself.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Slosh and just when you thought things were on the up as well. I hope next week is better for you and, of course, every week that you manage to get through, is one less to work. Hopefully, this term will go as quickly as possible for you.

In the meantime try and get some rest over the weekend.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm glad the week started well but the news on the pain front must be both....well, painful and a touch scary. You are doing the right thing, Slosh. I hope there is some improvement over the weekend.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you. I must be fair to my head but apart from the "blip" over my request to go part-time my head has been very supportive ever since this started over two years ago. As he says this is a new situation for both of us and we are both learning as we work through it. We had a good chat before half-term when he asked if I had any special equipment at home.

I'm taking it easy, and won't be silly and rush back to work Monday after seeing the GP unless I really feel ready as after being off for a couple of days I dread to think what I will come back to and I am also being good and not checking my work emails.

A bit anxious about seeing a different GP but will try and get an appointment wih my usual one Monday morning but if not will see this one.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Oh Slosh :(

You poor thing. I wonder whether you did any damage when you nearly fell down the stairs...

Sending ((())) and love

I'm sure there is no need for me to say this, but try to rest up over this weekend

Toni xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain again. When the neuropathic pain in my hands an feet are so bad I soak them in luke warm water and Epsom salts, it doesn't take the pain away but it helps dampen down the burning. I hope you can get some relief soon. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    Options
    Hope the GP appointment goes well, and that you have a better week.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Isn't it frustrating? We think we are at long last getting somewhere with this malarkey then WHAM - another setback smacks us in the chops. It can be very easy to lose sight of our inner Weeble. :( I hope this week is a better one on all fronts. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    I like the idea of an inner weeble!
    I have learnt to be sensible though, I will see GP today and then go back to work tomorrow (fingers crossed).
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Options
    Saw GP, was strange not to see my usual one but she was very nice. Upped my duloxetine to 40mg twice a day for 4 weeks to see if that helps, I'm currently on 60mg at night and gave me a couple of weeks worth of Oxycodone. She also reccomended a wrist support for my right hand and advised me on what type to get. Know I will be knocked sideways a bit at first so will go back to work on Wednesday.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope the meds and the splint does the trick and quickly good idea to have another day off to get used to the upped dosage. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad you got on well with GP No.2. It's good to feel one has a kindred soul - and I was very grateful for it when my kids were young and my original knees very old - but even better to know there are congenial options available.

You have a plan, maybe not a wholly enviable one but, hopefully, one which will give you a little respite and some valuable think time. That applies both to the doc's prescription and to your own decision to not go in until Wednesday. I hope it all helps. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both. It's good to have a "back up" GP so to speak. She was friendly, complimented me on my fuschia coloured crutches and most importantly of all listened. She asked what I had been given last time I had had a bad spell which was good.
    I was tempted to go back in tomorrow, initially I had thought this afternoon but as my nights have been worse than usual this past 10 days or so and so I have a feeling I will sleep soundly tonight. Been taking full advantage of my recliner chair this afternoon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    Options
    Another duvet day sounds like a good plan, better to get back up to strength rather than attempt work at half strength and put yourself back to square one.
    Sounds like a good GP appointment, I hope the extra meds do their job. Sleep well !!!!!!

Deb xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope the increased dosage & the meds bring you some relief, Slosh.

Take care.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    Been taking full advantage of my recliner chair this afternoon.

Good :D Just what was needed.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Hope that you're feeling a bit better today :)

Deb xx
  • Slosh
    Options
    Yes thanks, back to "normal" , or at least what passes for it these days. Back to work tomorrow but a short week as I have a physio appointment Friday for my back.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How was 'normality', then?
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sad to say "normality " was very short lived!
    Made it through the day but my head did comment on how I was looking by 3.30 and praised me for seeing the day out.

My neck is the worst since before my op and several people today commented on how stiff I looked, not good.

I am going to try and get an appointment with my regular GP to discuss this as I am worried about it.

I have a physio appointment on Friday for my back, so I will ask if they will look at my neck but don't know if they will. I'm not going to the main physio department this time but to the muscular -skeletal (?) physio dept at the main hospital.
    Julian of Norwich