Metal on Metal hip issues

Options
Stuhb
Stuhb Member Posts: 17
edited 14. Nov 2015, 18:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if anybody has had any metal on metal hip related problems ?

I had a Mcminn hip in 98 and just recently I've been informed there are issues with it. I was told that this sort of hip replacement would last a lifetime ?

I suppose my real concern is that it will have to come out. Ironically it was only discovered due to the other hip imminently needing to be replaced.

Kindest regards

Stuart

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know what my THRs are made of but I know there were some problems with some metal on metal ones. I hope you don't need a revision but, if they are causing physical problems, I guess they're better out than in. Here are some former threads which might be relevant.

link deleted, not working - and also very long, making the type very small. Sorry Sticky I couldn't find the relevant thread to replace it but Toni has included some threads a couple of posts further down

Mod Yx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi, were you registered with the National Joint Registry through your hospital when you had your first hip done in 1998? If so, they would know if there have been "failures" of the type of hip you've had put in.

I expect like most of us the thought of more surgery is rather daunting for you, and having other joints making themselves known doesn't help at all, does it?

Perhaps you could speak to your consultant about this. I have heard of people having both hips done at once but I'm obviously not sure if this would be of interest to you, or indeed, possible. Your consultant may consider this as it'd then be one operation to get over, with one recuperation period instead of having one done, getting over that and then heading back to theatre for 'round two'.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Hi Grace
    Thanks for the response..
    The thought is very daunting, I didn't even realise there was an issue although on reading up I seem to have been suffering the side effects of the cobalt poisoning for some time plus my back is not in a good way due to my BHR leg being shorter and twisting my pelvis....
    I was having my other hip checked for replacement when this was discovered...
    It all seems a lot take on board , I'm 45 and think that I'll probably lose my job due to absence ( although I've only had one period of absence in 7 years)
    I have an appointment to have an MRI next week then I'll see the consultant the week after.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

kindest regards

stuart
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Oh dear Stuart

Extra oh dear at the possibility of loosing your job - that's not right :(

I had heard about the metal on metal hips on here so I have dug out some old threads for you to look at. (sorry if any are actually duplicates :oops:

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39071&hilit=metal+hip*

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31047&hilit=metal+hip*

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30498&hilit=replacement+problems

Interested to hear how you get on

Toni x
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Thanks Toni.
    I'm very grateful for your help. .
    I should find out what is going to happen on the 25th ... so fingers crossed one way or the other :)
    Kindest regards
    Stuart
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    25th it is then Stuart.

Fingers crossed :)

Toni x
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Thanks Toni....

That means a lot :)

This will be the day that shapes the rest of my life...

Bring it on !!!

Stuart x
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Hi,

I saw the consultant on Thursday , and it seems the BHR will have to be 'revised'
    I cant speak too highly of him, he took the time to explain everything, however the BHR has caused quite bit of damage to my pelvis, so it will not be completely straight forward but at least now i know, its just a waiting game now i guess..
    The next hurdle is how do exist during my recuperation, as I only now have 2 weeks sick pay left !?( I've had 1 period of absence of 7 weeks in 7 years service,due to arthritis)
    It's a bit of a worry...

Thanks to those of you that responded. :)

Stuart
  • stickywicket
    Options
    As you say, you now know where you stand even though it's not a particularly happy outcome. You seem to have managed a positive view on it and that will help.

You will certainly need at least as long to recover as for a simple THR. Quite how you sort that out with work I can't say. Do you have a union rep or someone you could ask for advice?
    Steven Wright
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Hi all .
    I had an appointment last week with the surgeon but unfortunately this was cancelled ( a tad frustrating as really wanted some answers ) due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
    I do however have a date for surgery ...7th October. So now starting to get a bit nervous......I guess my real worry is how long will the recuperation take,does anyone have a rough idea ?!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've had a knee revision, though not a hip revision, and my recovery time was much the same as those having first knee replacements. Exercise, rest and ice and you should be fine.
    Steven Wright
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Hi all hope you're all well (ish)

My operation is booked for the 7th (week on Wed) had my pre-op and consultation so I'm all ready !! ( maybe not so willing ).
    I have to say that all the people i have spoken to or with at the Wrightington have been absolutely brilliant, I do feel like I'm in capable hands .. I've been told i will be recovering for approx 3 months and depending on how this goes the other hip will be replaced at some point. I have applied for PIP so watch this space !
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you good luck for the op. Let's hope this sorts your problems out.

With regards to work, if you need a certain amount of time out of work then unfortunately that's the case. Sadly Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) isn't very much to live on. Not sure what you do for a living, but could you work from home - even part time after say 4 weeks or so? Have a word with your employers, you may well find them more sympathetic than you anticipate.

Hope the op goes well, take care of yourself.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've not had any joint replacements as yet but I am an old hand at surgery. Being a bit of an odd bird it's always been something I've looked forward to because it has usually led to a nasty situation being remedied or completely cleared, always a bonus! I hope this proves to be the case for you, you need this grot out of you and something better in its place - once you have the second done there'll be no stopping you!

Recovery time varies from patient to patient but the 'fitter' you are in terms of muscle strength the better. Eat a good diet, keep hydrated, do the exercises carefully but conscientiously, rest, don't get impatient :wink: (it can be very hard to gauge one's progress when right in the middle of it all) and everything else should fall into place.

I wish you very well for the 7th and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Stuhb
    Options
    Hi all.
    I had my hip revision abut 3 weeks ago now... I also had extensive reconstruction to my pelvis due to osteolytic lesions..everything seems ok at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same kind of thing and what the long term effects were .
    Cheers all :)