It was all straightforward until . . .

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. Jun 2015, 03:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . it began. Today was the day that our ancient (circa 40 years old) and non-working electric garage door was due to be replaced, together with the rotten side door and window which gives access to the garden (all double-glazed and tickety-boo). I went to a local firm and was told it was a three-man job which would take one day.

That day was today! Hurrah! They turned up an hour late, just two of them, then it was ****-break time, then one disappeared for around an hour because he had to go back to base to deal with an unscheduled delivery . . . . fundamentally the local firm's installation work-force of five was depleted to two due to annual leave for two and an emergency eye operation for the third. The first words I heard were 'This won't all be done today, we can do the garage door and motor but will have to come back to do the side door, which will be next week.' That has now developed to 'I'll come back tomorrow and do the motor but the side door won't be next week, I don't think.'

Hmmmm. Chains get things wrong due to their size (I am also having a little discussion with John Lewis :wink: concerning their vocabulary and the implications of the the word 'bed') but the little ones can also get things wrong because they lack resources. I have to say, however, that the care these two have shown today in not damaging the render on the garage, in tidying, cleaning and sweeping up behind them and - get this - asking if I would be offended if they removed their polo shirts (it was 28 degrees out the front where they were working) somewhat mitigates the delays. I am sure I made the right choice of firm and it's not as though I have other great callings on my time.

Now to explain it all to 'Im Indoors when he gets indoors. :roll: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD they didn't remove there shirts...it should have been in the contract :o glad they were neat and tidy and got there in the end...I think... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    I hope that him indoors is as understanding as you have been :? .

My husband also has his own business with a staff of 4, (including me - who as you know has done very little these last 16 months :oops: ), and I know things can rapidly go wrong if one extra person goes sick.

To be honest local is best as they rely on word of mouth meaning they should take good care of you and your property.

Good decision. I approve :wink:

love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    asking if I would be offended if they removed their polo shirts

:shock: Not offended but drooling :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Were they fit :?: Mig
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hello DD
    how are things now will it be done by next weekend.
    you take care you will be helping them.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It was all done and dusted (literally, they swept the garage floor and wiped over some of the stuff in the garage to clear concrete dust caused by their drilling out a deeper channel to accommodate the door) by 5pm on Friday afternoon. Over the course of the two days 37 tea bags were used between the three of us, four pints of milk ditto, and half a bag of sugar. The garage fridge was pressed into service too for their water and fizzies.

Beatrice has a new home. :D We cannot fit both cars (modern cars are very bulky thanks to the exploding pillows and other safety features) so, because I am mostly here, she gets first dibs. :D There will be plenty of room for a scooter (plus power points for charging) so that's all fine by me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben