Payback time!

juliep123
juliep123 Member Posts: 40
edited 16. Jun 2015, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I had a great day yesterday at a friends baby shower-never been to one before and had a fabulous time . I did behave myself and everyone was lovely, getting my food and drinks and looking after me . I have been in severe pain all day today , it feels like RA is determined to keep reminding me it's still there . It happened a few weeks ago , again when I had a great time at a concert. I beginning to think I should just stay home and not have any fun !! I am determined that it won't stop me anymore than it already has. Sorry for the moan but I think my OH has had enough today ( especially as he had to do the ironing :lol:) Keep your fingers crossed for me -I'm supposed to be going to the cinema on Friday !!
Julie x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The arthritis is always with us whether we like it or not as is payback. One coping strategy is to prepare for an event by resting a little more than usual (I think it helps to build up a small reserve of stamina) and resting a little more than usual after. Sometimes we can be surprised by its non-arrival and at others it will pop up after comparatively little effort; the only predictable thing about our conditions is that they won't be going anywhere. :wink:

I'm pleased you enjoyed the baby shower (so it can rain not only cats and dogs but babies too :wink: ) and I hope you enjoy your cinema trip. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    'Stay home and not have fun' :shock: NEVER :lol:

I've just had a stonking weekend with old friends. I've learnt, over the years, how to take preventative steps in advance and how to restrain myself from being carried away at the time. I don't always adhere to these :lol: but I now know how to have a really good time while keeping one foot on the brake.

What I used to hate about parties was being the only one sitting down and therefore spending the evening gazing at other people's crotches :roll: I think that, alone, made me try much too hard to remain standing for far too long. Now that many of my contemporaries also need to sit life is much easier for me.

As for theatres – do your research. Ask the theatre in advance about seats with more legroom and if, like me, others going past you are a problem, ensure you have an end-of-row seat so's you can swivel round into the aisle.

We might have to put more effort into it but fun is essential :D

How's things today?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m with Sticky - we need our fun! While it`s good to pace ourselves, it`s easy to forget and get carried away in the heat of the moment.

While we usually can expect payback, sometimes it`s just worth it.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I agree with the rest.
    Dont even think about staying at home and not enjoying yourself.
    I assume that was said out of frustration :wink:
    Just be prepared that if you go out you probably will have pay back but if you have enjoyed yourself its worth it :D

Dont overdo yourself by working too much or doing things without pacing yourself.....thats not worth the payback :lol:

Iwas told by someone that another way of looking at pacing yourself is to think
    "What are your fillers? and What are your drainers?"
    Do a lot more of the things that fill you...make you feel better/happier etc
    Make a list of drainers......it could be some person that you know that after seeing them you feel drained :(

Think about various things like ironing.....are there things that dont really need ironing etc etc
    Try and get rid of these drainers or some of them

Sorry.....this has nothing to do with your flare after going out but the first bit of the post does.
    Its just me rambling as anyone that knows me will recognise :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • juliep123
    juliep123 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for all the comments -I was only joking about not going out (I think) , I was just feeling fed up. I do try to pace myself but it happens every time and do you know what? Its worth it - I still need a life and to see my friends and family. I have been on the sofa all day with my Kindle and I will be doing the same tomorrow too so I can get out on Friday .
    Hope you are all well and thanks again
    Julie x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    hileena111 wrote:
    are there things that dont really need ironing etc etc
    Hileena

I have discovered, over the years, bit by bit, that very few things in life need ironing :lol: and this despite my preference for cotton.

I recently witnessed a friend ironing a pair of knickers :shock: I thought bottoms did that. They do in our house.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright