Chickenpox and Meth

LynneS
LynneS Member Posts: 26
edited 17. Jun 2015, 02:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I read at my local primary school once a week. As I was leaving today I mentioned to the teacher that all the kids seemed to be scrathing. Apparently they have Chickenpox in the class, one confirmed case and one possible.

I don't think I've had it (sadly no one left to ask!). I think I read somewhere that Chickenpox and Meth is a no go? Should I be doing something or keeping my fingers crossed that one of my little readers isn't a carrier?

Would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

L x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If possible, get advice from your rheumatology helpline but, if in doubt, don't go near them ie to the school.

I asked my helpline for advice when we were going out for a meal with friends who currently had their chicken pox infected grandchildren staying with them. The latter had, by then, got to the scabby stage so I was advised that, because they were now scabbed over, it would be enough to ask our friends to wash and change clothes before leaving home.

Chicken pox can be nasty for us meth users. Don't take chances.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant offer any help Lynne, but its good you have posted this to warm others..hope you don't come down with it... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    My grandchildren had chicken pox and I couldn't remember if I had had it or not. I phoned the rheumatology hotline and they told me to go to the GP and get a blood test done to see if I had had it, they also phoned the GP to let them know I was coming - a good job too because the on duty GP I saw wasn't convinced that I needed to do anything and even checked it out on the computer! The blood test results came through quickly and I was OK. Do get it checked though. Hope that helps.
  • stickywicket
    Just for the record – I had chickenpox as a child and my helpline were aware of this. My Mum reckons one of my siblings had it 3 times.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The rule of thumb with immune-suppressing meds is to steer very well clear of anyone with any form of infection. We do not have an active immune system to reduce disease activity so we don't produce symptoms until something has a real hold.

The only thing you can do to avoid this (and its nasty relative shingles) is not to go into the school until they are clear. My hospital has always advised stopping the meth and humira at the first sign of an infection (such as a sore throat, a cough or sniffles) and my friends know not to come round if they are going down with something, are ill or recovering. I hope you have missed this particular little childhood treat but increase your hand hygiene just in case. Without wishing to sound too hysterical please keep an eye on your temperature: it is possible to have one and not know it. I hope you will be OK. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LynneS
    Thank you for the responses.

Unfortunately they didn't think to tell me until I'd been in the classroom for an hour and a half!!

I'll call the rheumatology hotline in the morning.

Thanks again

L x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I'm on humira, and I had chickenpox when I was a child. When my grandsons had it I was told to have no contact until the spots had scabbed over.
  • stickywicket
    LynneS wrote:
    Unfortunately they didn't think to tell me until I'd been in the classroom for an hour and a half!!

This is one of the problems we face, Lynne. People don't realise the hazards. We can, at first, feel we're being very finicky by insisting those with infections don't come near us but it's better to get used to it than to face the potential consequences of not doing. (My son always referred to my grandson's Day Care as The Little Germ Factory :roll: )
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    The school should have posted up notices in places such as the reception, parent's notice board etc to inform parents/staff etc about this.

It can be dangerous for pregnant women, people on chemo etc.

It does seem to be doing the rounds this year and for adults in general can be a more serious illness than in children. Fingers crossed you don't get it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Being immunosuppressed, we do have to be careful around infections but the chicken pox virus can be particularly unpleasant if not caught in time. Fortunately, it's very early days, so you should be ok. If you can't get to speak to someone tomorrow, please see your GP. They can do blood tests speedily and give you anti-virals if needed.

I don't think people even realise that we are immunosuppressed on the medications we take because "it's arthritis"!

Take care, Lynne, and I really hope that you don't have the 'pox.
  • LynneS
    Spoke to the Rheumy nurse this morning. She says most adults do have CP antibodies but is sending me for a blood test to be sure.

This is certainly a new and 'interesting' world I've entered :? . Hooray for the forum, the support, humour and knowledge makes a real difference to this newbie :) . It's also very humbling too - thank you!
    Lx
  • stickywicket
    Good. That sounds like a result. Better safe than sorry.

'new and interesting', eh? Yup, you could say that :lol: Nothing boring in the arthritic world :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That was a wise move, LynneS, I'm pleased you contacted your rheumatology department. It is a lot to take on board, isn't it? We can live life as we used to but it may do us more harm than good if we do. What a malarkey. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben