Golimumab

Options
farmgirl
farmgirl Member Posts: 20
edited 16. Jun 2015, 09:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, went to rhuemy yesterday to talk about Humira only to find I'm going to be taking Golimumab, i have never heard of this drug soooooo are any of you fellow suffers taking this, if so does it help?. I already inject MTHX weekly. I have PSA with very swollen fingers. At the moment i feel good but have a 28 bad joint count with 11 swollen. so not to good!!!
Thanks x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never taken it but, if you put the name into te Arthritis Care search engine above, quite a lot of stuff comes up. Good luck with it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've not had this one either but I have come across it on here - try using the search facility and I hope some threads pop up. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • farmgirl
    Options
    Hi i did that but they are all old posts and was hoping for a more up to date response.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh that's a shame but hopefully it means that whoever is taking it is doing OK. What reasons did they give you for trying goli instead of humira? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    took Golimumab for 9 months for RA , it done nothing to help & they doubled the dose & then had a bad reaction & endded up in hospital

some people will will help & you should know pretty quick if its going to , good thing is that it dont have the preservative like enbrel & you dont get the reaction on the injection site ,
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this drug, but I wish you well on it and hope it brings you some improvement.
  • farmgirl
    Options
    Hi dreamdaisy, not sure really as i didn't manage to see my consultant, was just told that she had said this one would suit me better!!
    I was thinking/hoping the same as nobody had put any thing on about it recently, unless I'm going MAD and can't find it!!

Thanks trepolpen, thats interesting about the injection site as i don't have a reaction to the mthx injection i was worried that i might to the Goli
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I have only recently stopped taking golimumab (Simponi) I had a string of bad luck which is why I think it didn't work for me. My doctor started me off on half the normal dose, then I was put onto the regular dose, then I had to stop it for 2 weeks due to emergency surgery (I was forced to go without it for around 8 weeks) then I was put on double the usual dose.

I wish this drug worked for me but in the end it just wasn't covering me for anywhere near the 4 weekly injection. I would be lucky to get 5-7 days out of it. I do think the messing around with dosage has something to do with it, or at least that is what I have been told by another doctor.

If you would like to know about side effects then I can answer any questions you have. Personally I only had a slight bad head on the day of the injection, feeling tired/worn out and slight dizziness when I first began the medication. Other than that I had no issues at all. Injecting the golimimab is also very simple and is the least painful TNF injection I have taken to date.

For me after my first dose I began to feel the benefits of the medication within hours, but that is just me. I'm not sure why but with every single biologic drug I have taken they seem to work on me within hours and for other people they can take weeks before they feel any benefit. If I remember correctly golimimab is one of the faster acting tnf's in comparison with Humira/Enbrel which typically take anything up to 3 months.

I hope this drug works well for you, let us know how you get on