When health and saftey gets in the way

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 20. Jun 2015, 15:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
To cut a very long story short, the last 12+ months I have been virtually immobile due to my AS. Thankfully I have now found a medication that seems to be working where it should work but due to my AS being very aggressive and not managed by medication for such a long time it has left parts of my spine in very bad shape. I already know that I need spinal fusion in the near future and possibly further operations after that. To tied myself over and try to manage some of the pain my doctor recommended I have something called radiofrequency ablation. It basically turns off the nerves that are transmitting pain signals in the spine. This is done by burning the nerves to a point where they no longer work, which in turn then means reduced pain.

My family decided they would help me pay to have this procedure done at a private hospital as I was facing 6+ month wait on the NHS and at this point I really was beginning to get frustrated by being stuck in one place all day unable to move. It was agreed that my doctor would do the procedure for me at a private hospital and then refer my to physiotherapy on the NHS. This is meant to be an important part to get the best outcome from the treatment and more importantly to get my mobility back. I got a phone call today from the physiotherapy department saying they're unable to offer me any therapies due to health and safety and the complexity of my condition.

Not really sure what to think of this.......is it health and safety gone mad or am I missing something here? What does everyone think? My next step is going to be getting back in contact with my pain doctor and see what can be done.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    One thing that comes to mind is that they are worried about 'picking up the pieces' after a procedure done privately, albeit with the same doc. Private clinics don't always have all the facilities or staff that NHS ones do so there is a greater possiblity for stuff to go wrong especially if the patient has complex issues.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I wonder if it is one of those things that can be offered if it is easy to 'target' the treatment or if it is a case of one place so not necessarily the best thing for the likes of us?

I am so so pleased to hear you are FINALLY having some benefits with a med., A long overdue event, it must have felt like it was never going to happen at times. That has put a smile on my face, great to hear!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this procedure, but agree with Sticky - the NHS are very wary when it comes to aftercare of something which has been done privately. Everyone these days is anxious to 'cover their backs.'
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Is there any way that your family's funds could be made to go a little further so that you could pay for some physio at the hospital where the procedure is being done? The best physio I had was one at a private hospital. I know it will cost a little more (about £40 a session ish) but you may get away with only 2 or 3 sessions. Your other option is to get your GP to refer you to physio and just don't mention where you had the procedure done - just the doctor that did it. My last fusion I had staples to be removed - I had had the op privately and just didn't tell my GP surgery when I booked to have the staples out.
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I am a health and safety consultant and this type of thing really gets my back up, (pardon the pun, not intended).

If anyone ever says that cannot do something for you because of health and safety please please please ask for further information as to why H&S is preventing it?

It will definitely not be H&S but another reason and they just use H&S for an excuse.

If they have properly risk assessed anything about the procedure they will be able to let you know what is preventing them, it may be hazards that they cannot remove, it could be equipment they need and have not got, or simply lazyitis and them just not wanting to help.

There is always a way to introduce a procedure.

Grrrrrrrr
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think this is due to the conflict between private and public healthcare. The private system works to its own rules and is not accountable in the same way as the NHS. Some of the worst nursing I have experienced was in the private system, it offers a speedy solution to a problem but not much more.

I'm not sure what the best move for you is, you obviously need this done and, given the nature of the procedure, the proper physio support is required. I wonder if a solution might be to state that you could take a cancellation on the NHS? I have 'jumped' ahead of the queue on a few occasions thanks to being able to respond to a call. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I have decided to just pay for sessions and see where things go from there. I found out that my old physio also does private work. He helped me get back on my feet many times over the last 10 or so years, hopefully he will be able to at least give me some very good advice and exercises for me to do while at home.

My doctor has now referred me to another hospital for physiotherapy but she is unsure about the waiting list.The physiotherapy unit at my local hospital isn't able to deal with people with AS due to "risks"
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That sounds like a plan as long as the physio is familiar with the type of exercises needed after this particular procedure. I hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    As5567 wrote:
    I have decided to just pay for sessions and see where things go from there. I found out that my old physio also does private work. He helped me get back on my feet many times over the last 10 or so years, hopefully he will be able to at least give me some very good advice and exercises for me to do while at home.

My doctor has now referred me to another hospital for physiotherapy but she is unsure about the waiting list.The physiotherapy unit at my local hospital isn't able to deal with people with AS due to "risks"

Ash I am so glad you are going to have your physio even if it is going to cost you. Best of luck! Toni xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    That sounds frustrating. I've found that my rheum clinic can be a tad funny about when I've sought private referrals instead of through the NHS. I never got it because it's saving them money and any private consultants have always communicated well with them. <shrugs> Healthcare politics, maybe?

I'm pleased to hear that you'll be able to have physio with someone who knows and understands your condition. I hope it makes a difference to you. All the best.