The SW Guide to a Stonking Weekend

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 19. Jun 2015, 04:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
With two other couples. The men had all shared a house while at uni.

I prepared with an easy 24 hours beforehand. And a bath as, in other people's houses, with their difficult stairs, I'm almost invariably downstairs on a sofa bed and using a tiny cloakroom to wash in. I always take my memory foam pillow and use my hostess's one to protect my knees and feet from the rigours of a sofa bed mattress.

We met up on Friday evening and managed the entire, delicious meal out in the garden. I drank more than I should have and much less than I wanted to and we women finally got to bed around 1a.m. leaving the men with the whisky (It was hard :( .) but brought back memories :D

After a leisurely breakfast, for our Saturday outing (museum, riverside walk, butterfly house) I mostly stuck sensibly to the wheelchair except for the really uphill, stony bits. The Saturday evening meal in the pub was a bit difficult because of a plethora of table legs in all the wrong places but I shuffled and shifted my chair until I'd got my own legs relatively comfortable. I had just the one large glass of wine and, when we got back to the house, a mug of tea rather than another glass. By this time we had all (even the men) realised that we were no longer 19 going on 20 but 69 going on 70 so we were all in bed by 10.30pm.

Another leisurely breakfast then home.

The moral of the story, if there is one, is prepare well, forget all about luxuries such as normality and dignity then go for it and enjoy to the utmost.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sounds like a good weekend! I recently did something similar with the OH meeting up with 5 of his uni friends, all now in their sixties......there was much reminiscing, rather a lot of alcohol consumed by some (not us :? , the joys of many meds that dislike alcohol), and some stunning Yorkshire scenery.....fun but perhaps a good job it only happens occasionally! This was the first time I've done it with RA as the elephant in the room....it definitely curtailed some of our activities, but ce la vie :oops:.

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Sounds like a great weekend, Sticky! Just the kind I like to have when the opportunity arises. The drink does have a tendency to flow on these occasions - bad move to leave the men with the whisky, though probably sensible too. Oh for the days when we could eat & drink whatever we wanted!!

I`m glad you enjoyed it.
  • LynneS
    LynneS Member Posts: 26
    It sounds a great weekend Mrs SW :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    What a brilliant weekend...hee memories...it must have been so good swopping story's...fly on the wall comes to mind..going off what you are like now you must have been the life and soul of the party's :lol: ...glad you enjoyed it... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Glad you had a great weekend Sticky xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Thank you everyone for your kind support.

Tezz - it was an Islay whisky too. My favourite. I merely had one sip of Mr SW's before retiring.

Barbara - the best story was that of the landlady's Blue Egg soup :o Apparently it tasted every bit as bad as it sounds and she served it up every time one of them had displeased her. She was very easily displeased :lol:

And we won't mention the time R woke up after a party to find his bedroom contained 3 road lamps, the top of a belisha beacon and a large temporary bus stop sign. He swore it wasn't him.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Sticky, your last paragraph reminds me of an 'Inset weekend' many years ago during my PE teaching career. Several of us teachers were at a 'posh' hotel for a weekend of lectures, seminars etc. At breakfast on the Saturday morning rumours were rife that one of the male teachers had spent the night in one of the female's rooms. The chap on our table - from a school near to ours - who was clearly hung-over, said " It wasn't me, was it? Please tell me it wasn't!"
  • stickywicket
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Steven Wright