Ever forget your limitations then regret it?

Options
dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 25. Jun 2015, 19:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
All this beautiful sunshine made me yearn for a good spring clean......what a mistake :oops: . I spent Monday/Tuesday cleaning out cupboards, cleaning windows, washing and ironing.......the results look good, but as a result I'm really suffering :( Pain in places that really should never make themselves felt, precious little sleep and major frustration with myself for not pacing it better. I thought I'd planned in enough rest breaks to mitigate the activity....I was wrong, but I guess we live and learn! So today I plan to read a book and maybe indulge in a little sewing....or maybe just some snoozing !

I have a cup of tea and naproxen to hand, and if all else fails the coco's in the drawer, and the dog curled up nearby demonstrating the art of total relaxation :) . The kindle is charging....perhaps I'll just forget getting out my sewing machine and settle for a good book.

Deb x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Deb, enjoy that book today along with cups of tea. :-D

I know sometimes that I have overdone things when suffering the following day more than the "usual". I never regret it though, as I really enjoyed doing whatever caused the overload of aches and pains. So far, they do abate gradually and I look at what I have done and feel proud that I accomplished it. Like you with your clean cupboards, washing and ironing up to date. Here is a gentle pat on the back to you from me. :-D

Have a good rest of the day. :) You have reminded me, two cocodamols will be going down the hatch now. ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is so easily done (and we all do it from time to time) but don't beat yourself up about it - take pride in what you have achieved and tell yourself that today is not about being unable to do anything, it's about choosing to limit your activities. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • eminel
    eminel Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Have a good rest. I am still in the process of learning my limits. I'm a stubborn person as well which doesn't help me in the long run. I really need to try to change my mind set :D I had lots of plans for today and done nothing so far. I'm trying to build up to it. I had work yesterday and I think I over did it when I got home with cleaning etc. I need to learn to delegate as well I think. Hope you feel better soon. Michele xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Deb,

Yes, I`ve done that and felt wretched afterwards. We`ve been having the bathroom plastered and re-tiled, and a bedroom re-organised, and after all the cleaning, putting stuff back etc. I have run out of steam!

I hope you can have a nice rest with your book, and that`s exactly what I`m doing this afternoon too!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I don't 'forget' as much as ignore :roll: I tend to believe, contrary to all the evidence, that this time it'll be OK. Of course it isn't. I hope you've been busy kindling, cuppaing and cocoing. Some days it just has to be done :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind thoughts. I have kindled, napped, drunk tea and loaded the pain killers........all without feeling guilty :? , I'd like to say that I've learned from the experience, but honestly like SW I'll probably make the same mistake again next time I feel energetic. Still feeling fragile, so tomorrow is pencilled in for more relaxing as we have folks coming for dinner on Saturday and I'll need some reserves of energy stored up for that.

Deb xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to stop when I think I can do more because it's usually the extra activity that pushes me over the arthritic edge. Learning to work effectively within our varying levels of ability and stamina is a challenge we all face, sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't! I hop you are feeling at least a little better today. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope the rest has done you good Deb and you are feeling a bit better xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Just reached the point of "should i continue or not" finished painting the bathroom it was only the part under the sink and round the loo but it had waited several weeks after son tiled, as i was cleaning up i thought the back lawn needs cutting then thought it will do tomorrow,eldest son ,wife and grandchildren are coming for the weekend as its fathers day so i wanted all these jobs done can't tell hubby as he doesn't know they are coming yet.Have got my splint on as my fingers were gripped round the paint brush so hard and have got a bit stiff.Thank goodness we are going out for lunch been a while since i cooked a sunday lunch for 8.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I'm still struggling to sort out what my limits are! There doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a 'cause and effect' as I would like or expect, except for some obvious joint/muscle issues at times. However, events last week make me think that the fibro is causing more problems than I have allowed for, and I've yet to get a handle on what wakes that beastie up. I can have a couple of sensible paced days and in the space of half an hour suddenly be flattened, but find that other days when I've definitely overdone it don't have the same effect. It's all too complicated at the mo, so I'm just taking each day as it comes and dealing accordingly.
  • dibdab
    Options
    Having spent two days doing precious little I'm feeling more human again thankfully :) . But of course the chores have begun to back up, and I'm cooking for 6 on Saturday, so I'm now leafing through cookery books looking for something that tastes good but doesn't demand too much preparation, or heaving heavy pans about. My hands and wrists are still sore and stiff, and my left elbow swollen and tingly......I'm guessing there's a nerve pinched somewhere in the swelling, neither ice nor heat seem to be making much difference. Happily tomorrow we have a meal out and a theatre trip booked, so there's lovely times to look forward to with the OH. :D .

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Why not a roast with some easy veg?

Depending on who is coming, I see no shame in asking if they'd mind a takeaway especially if, like us, you have a really good one nearby.

At this time of year you can't really do better than fruit (strawbs, rasps, blackberries, blackcurrants) and cream, ice cream, yoghourt or whatever for afters.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Making hay whilst the sun shines I call it. Sorry it hurts and I hope the sparkly house was worth it. Can you channel Mr Dibdab's inner caveman and do a BBQ on Saturday? That's always my approach to meals when I'm not up for making. Failing that do you have a butcher who half prepares things like meatballs or chicken stuffed with stuff? That and some veg prepared by another?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dibdab
    Options
    Sadly hubby's culinary limit is beans on toast.....but he does take me out to eat when things are grim. I think I shall be visiting the kindly cooks at M&S for ready made goodies that just need putting in the oven....happily the friends who are visiting are old friends who know my limitations.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Great idea!. We once bought a 3 course meal for 6 from W**t r*s* *nt*rt**n*ng. It was fantastic and the four of us left next day (I hasten to add that the other two went home :wink: ) got several more starters, lunches and desserts out of it. We got cold starters and sweets and just bunged the rest in the oven.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I read recently that the latest trend in certain circles is not just to 'outsource' the dinner party dishes but to be upfront about it, mixing and matching from the usual High St suspects and also independent food producers.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    I read recently that the latest trend in certain circles is not just to 'outsource' the dinner party dishes but to be upfront about it, mixing and matching from the usual High St suspects and also independent food producers.

This makes me sound older than I am :wink: but supermarket food is much better quality than it used to be. Even ready meals that I used to think were junky and tasteless are actually really good; taste and presentation wise. Take it easy, deb. x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I've sometimes entertained friends and we've agreed who's bringing which course. For example, I'd do an easy starter and the main and our guests would bring the dessert. We'd then go to them and reciprocate accordingly. It makes it easier for everyone but both hosts and guests get a surprise course!

Hope your weekend goes well and that you don't overdo things tomorrow.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dibdab
    Options
    Just popping back to say that happily things are settling down, and we had a leisurely meal with friends last night. Thank you all for your support this week, it's been important to me to know that others understand.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good and good :D We have a result!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased to read that things are perking up for you, long may that continue! Keep up the good work on the resting front, it's valuable to the state of our overall health. DD
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I find i'm usually very mindful of my limitations and try to avoid things that may cause a flare/pain/fatigue....However....there are some times when the occassion is so special that I'm willing to face the consequences. For instance I'm currently suffering quite badly with inflammation, pain and unable to raise my arms. This was due to a wonderful weekend where I watched a friend play in a band (and danced on my bad foot), then dressed up in fancy dress for a wild evening with friends with a 'Carry On' theme (at one stage I was dancing on a coffee table dressed as Barbara Windsor) Now before doing this I was dosed with IM steroids, and I was aware things were hurting but I just wanted to be 'normal' for once (and have recently been in a wheelchair so was excited to be free!) I am paying the price now but.....it was worth it..... :lol: