It was a bleach moment.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Jun 2015, 20:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was standing at the sink, working my way through the washing up, when one of those moments struck and I reached for the bottle of bleach (more than half used) for a good clean of the sink and its environs. When I last replaced the bleach under the sink the cap was left as I like to leave it, i.e. on but not completely secured (it may be helpful to state that I live in both a child-and-pet-free environment). The last person, however, to use it was The Spouse (on Saturday) so the cap was replaced as suits him.

Yup.

After far too many futile minutes spent trying to both squeeze and twist I resorted to a far better idea: I removed my trews, stepped outside the back door, inverted said bottle between my creaky knees and applied a corkscrew to the thinnest bit of plastic I could find. The remaining contents are now in a fresh, Daisy-accessible container, the sink is sparkling and my new bleach bottles are labelled 'Please open but allow Wife to replace the cap.'

I hope this works. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    :shock: On no account attempt this at home, dear reader.

It is strictly for the well-seasoned arthritic with more than a touch of the barking mad, exhibitionist inventor about her.

Highlights of the naked knee exercise have already crashed YouTube.

DD has now been safely reunited with her straitjacket :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Some bottle lids lend themselves to being modified by my lovely secateurs - snipping out one of the 'catches'
    Reminds me of the cliche of handing a pill bottle to a child to open....have seen this on observational tv more than once.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I was just pondering the genius of either putting things in different containers or snipping off the cruel evil bits of plastic and then I remembered the increasing necessity for child proofing things in my house so I shall just continue to curse at the bits of plastic for now.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    My trusty corkscrew has come to the rescue on many an occasion. Pickle, chutney, marmalade and jam jars have all succumbed to its ministrations, (with a piece of sellotape placed over the drilled hole to reduce the risk of things going off) and for piercing the paper on milk when there's either no tab or I can't grasp what there is, but it's no use for one devilish source of irritation, sealed rigid plastic packaging. My foldable garden saw is used for that. DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    With RA comes ingenuity.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Oh DD, thank you for the much needed smile......necessity being the mother of invention, I think I need to invest in a corkscrew too. :D
    Deb x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I have a beautiful corkscrew which gets little use (because wine comes in screw top bottles and Mr LV sorts those). I was only pondering it's useless existence in our cramped house the other day and hey presto, it now has reason to be. Thank you DD!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Wonderful picture in my mind having read this.

Being a lover of bleach - our place tends to smell like a swimming pool most of the time! :roll: - I get through a reasonable amount of bleach. I am just thankful that - for the moment - my grip is reasonably okay although I do have some grippers to use for extra tough bottles, etc.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Gwynedd
    Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
    Wonderful outside of the box thinking :D with a vivid image to boot!
    I shall be noteing for future reference
    Make hay while the sunshines
  • dreamdaisy
    There's a permanent thread at the top of this board, Gwynedd, it's called Ideas to Make Life Easier. It's worth having a read-through (yup, all seventeen pages!) because you may find all sorts of tips and hints to solve normal, everyday problems for people like us. We have creativeness thrust upon us. :wink: DD
  • littleelf
    littleelf Member Posts: 69
    Imagery; funny.

The smile on my face; priceless.

Corkscrew from ASDA; £1.

Thank you DD ;)
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • dreamdaisy
    My pleasure, littleelf, there are funny sides to be found but only if one has the ability to see the funny side - it seems as though you can. :wink:

I wish you, and your corkscrew, well. DD
  • littleelf
    littleelf Member Posts: 69
    I'm a firm believer that if we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes, then what's the point. You brought a smile to my face today just when I needed it. Sometimes it's the best medicine to clear away a dark cloud.

Thank you. :D
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Oh yes DD,
    I can just picture the scene. Great ingenuity.

Personally I find the nut crackers have lots of uses! :shock: :lol:

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.