Having a clothes sort out

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 28. Jun 2015, 10:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
In our spare bedroom we have a long hanging rail its mainly got coats on it and some stuff i think i will wear that sometime or thats better for winter i sure you all know what i mean,tucked at the far end which is difficult to get to i found two brand new polo shirts that i got from cottont****rs and a summer type jacket i brought because it was a bargain but a size bigger than i used to wear which now fits,i seem to have grown into :o ,i really must have a good sort out i could get more stuff then :lol: Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My Mum always bought things for me to 'grow into' :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I get most of my clothes from charity shops these days( there's a good selection in town) and one of the pleasures of the winter/summer clothes switch over is having a grand chuck-out session. Bags of clothes go to the shops and I can start restocking. A lot of the things are the usual suspects,(F&F, Tu, Primark etc) but I have also bagged Fenn Wright Manson, D&G, Hobbs, Monsoon, and sometimes new branded shoes. Most of the things are £2 or less - winter is more expensive if coats and jackets are needed, as are shoes - so cheap retail therapy, and the bonus of supporting good causes. Last year I found out why pashminas are popular having managed to get one for 75p and one for £1-25, and found them soooo comforting to sore necks and shoulders in unclement weather, and no bulk when they need to be tucked into a bag. Just have to be careful of clothes-moths, which also love them!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Every now and again, I take most of the clothes from my wardrobe and hang them in the spare room. As I wear them, I wash them then put them back in my bedroom. Anything that gets left in the spare room for a while, goes to the charity shops. I too buy most of my clothes from there too. One of the best things from getting clothes from charity shops is you can buy more.

Wow Daffy. They are good prices. Most of our shops sell t-shirts for £3-4, dresses and trousers about £5, coats £8-10. I've even seen some things for £15-20. :shock:
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Some of the shops are more pricey, so although I'll look I won't buy. My reasoning is that if Tshirts are £3 or £4 new, which many are, then I'm not paying that second-hand. I've noticed the same sort of prejudice operates in the world of charity retail as in the High Street shops. If prices are low and/or the shop is not brightly lit and cleverly laid out then some folks won't bother to go in, but will head for the Barnado's shop for instance, which is centrally located and looks like a 'normal' shop - with prices to match. Suits me, makes for more choice in my preferred back street treasure trove shops! In the nearby city prices are much higher - overheads are higher and the market can bear it, but on the plus side the shops are bigger and have more stock, so still worth a look, especially if you're a labels or design person as one of my friends is.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Im growing out of mine.... :shock: :shock: I do like charity shops its just recycling,we have a very good one nearby and some really nice designer stuff in there..not that I am designer :lol: ..but like you say some charge over the odds...
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Just been in to town and found a new shop. Bought 2 t-shirts for £1.50 each. Don't think anything was more than £4. :D

A friend of mine always throws out one thing every time she buys a new one so out goes a dress whenever she buys a new dress. Wish I could do the same.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    My dining table is covered in children's clothing, including many hardly worn or still tagged and bagged. Its just finding the right places to pass them onto that I have difficulty with.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein