'the lady in the skirt'

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 3. Jul 2015, 16:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
Harry Rabinowitz was on Desert Island Discs this lunchtime. He talked of conducting when Kenneth McKellar, complete with kilt, represented the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1966.

Afterwards, the Yugoslavs said they liked the song but 'the lady in the skirt, who sang it, was very butch-looking'.

If, like me, you are surprised to discover that Harry Rabinowitz is still alive, he's as bright as a button still and retired 5 years ago when he was 94 :o I think I might take up conducting. They all seem to last forever. It must be good exercise.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I liked Kenneth McKellar Sticky, the title of the song that he entered Eurovision with was "Man Without Love", but I can't actually remember how it goes :?

So nice to hear of these oldies but goodies, Harry Rabinowitz must be 101 now then. Let's hope he still has a few good years in him. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I heard part of the programme, he's 99 and amazingly alert, apparently he still plays piano every day!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for him,I'm not alert at 65.. :shock: I do love desert island disc, but missed that one.I did prefer the old one... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I am afraid I have never heard of Harry Rabinowitz Sticky :oops: for obvious reasons I have heard of Kenneth Mc Kellar :wink: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Greetings from sunny Portugal! My mother loved Kenneth McKellor. She used to love watching the White Heather Club too.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello Tezz :D Or should I say Bom dia? I hope all is well and you're enjoying yourselves in the Algarve.

P.S. Yorks are currently on top of Durham in the Championship match at The Riverside :wink:

(Sorry, should have been at Chester-le-Street :oops: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oooh Sticky!! Both our sons are keeping us posted re cricket & tennis, so we know about the Yorks result.

All well here in Portugal - Sun, swimming, wine and lots of fresh fish. I just love the pace of life here - I could get used to life in the slow lane.