Methotrexate and sunshine.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Jul 2015, 14:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know I've mentioned this before but, as we have a number of people who are new to methotrexate, I think it worth stating again.

One of the side effects of meth is that it can make the skin more photosensitive so applying sun screen is essential, preferably of a higher factor such as 30, and basking at noon is not recommended. In the past I've had a splendid rash caused by the sun and, needless to say, it's uncomfortable and adds a further layer of yuk to the whole malarkey; I was advised to slather on calamine lotion and took Piriton for a couple of days to help shift it. I'm not sure whether other meds for auto-immune can cause this so it's best to check your leaflets. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Even in a heatwave I'm always the pale and not-very-interesting one.

We now buy our sunscreen-for-the-year when visiting our son in California – factor 50, waterproof, spray on and cheaper. What more could you ask? Only that Mr SW wouldn't spray it in my eyes :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks for that DD, as the sun flares me up(neuropathy) I cant sit in the sunshine anyway so wont have to worry about rashes. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Marie, you are the epitome of the Glass Half Full person. Good for you. I'll drink with you any day :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    It might be worth looking at the 'Which' comments about sunscreens. I gather that some were found to be less than satisfactory, and weren't the cheap ones either.
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    Options
    This would explain why I spent 10 minutes in the sun last month and had horrendous sun burn. I couldn't make sense of it. I never burn.

I've applied sun block (factor 30) religiously since then.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    And the, of course, we have to ensure we get enough Vit D :roll: Arthritis is the mother of invention.
    Steven Wright