Caudal injection

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 4. Jul 2015, 19:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I went to visit the gp today x he said I need a caudal injection following results of MRI x

Has anyone had one ? X

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry, can't help here. I hope someone else can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry cant help either never heard of them but I sincerely hope it helps xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lynnmarie

A Caudal epidural steroid treatment is when a corticosteroid drug is injected into the epidural space (in your back), usually as a treatment for nerve root pain (sciatica). The injection is given lower down on your back, through an opening in the sacral bone (caudal epidural).
    Caudal epidurals are usually carried out under general anaesthetic.
    The skin is cleaned with antiseptic and the bottom opening into the spine (opening in the sacral bone) is injected with the therapeutic mix of drugs.

I am not sure exactly what I had but I was put to sleep and it worked wonders for my sciatica. It was done on 9 December 2009, a date never to be forgotten for me and I have never had a reoccurrence of the awful sciatica pain.

Not sure what you are having it done for, Lynemarie. I wish you well and hope it works for you as well and as long as it continues to work for me. I love that doctor. :-D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    I have unspecified seronegative arthritis, following recent MRI scan it was found that I had wear n tear to my lower spine and disc bulges that are pressing on my nerves causing pain, the consultant has wrote to the gp to refer me to pain clinic for a caudal injection. Visited gp yesterday to discuss - he thought it was done under local ? I was hoping for general myself ! He also stated that it only lasts 3 months which worries me too :-( xx

I am pleased yours has solved your pain xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lynnemarie, were you told you can have this injection three times, about two weeks apart if it does not work?

I found this question about the injection:

When will I notice improvement and how long will it last?
    Patients will typically begin to notice improvement in their pain in two to three days – although it may take longer. In some instances, a patient may not have any noticeable improvement after one injection. Up to three injections may be required, and these are typically spaced two weeks apart in order to achieve maximum pain relief.

If you do not have a GA I am sure it will not be too uncomfortable. They can give injections where you do not really remember anything about the procedure although it is not a GA. From reading about the injections it would appear everyone is different as to how long they may benefit from the injection.

The injection I had was not called a caudal injection, but luckily it worked for my sciatica. I was told I had a 50/50 chance of it working and it did.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

No I was not informed that I could have upto 3 injections of required.

Tbh the gp wasn't very informed ! ( I have found this with gp's! , they are scared of saying the wrong thing) I'll wait to be refered to the pain clinic x

I'm hoping for GA xx
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Hi all, I went to visit the gp today x he said I need a caudal injection following results of MRI x

Has anyone had one ? X

I would also wait for information from the pain clinic, see what you're having done and go from there.

Personally I'd much rather have a procedure done without general anaesthetic because of the side effects I get after and generally increased AS symptoms.

If you're having the injection done under local with/without sedation then try not to worry about it, I have had many types of spinal injections and although most of them have been uncomfortable they have been far from painful. My advice is to work with your doctor and let them know if you're in pain, they can administer more local antithetic to make the procedure less painful. For my the painful part is usually when they're injecting the medication which is typically over and done with in seconds, the incision of the injection for me has always been painless and I usually don't even notice the injection is in place until they tell me or ask me questions.

I hope the injection works well for you