Arthritis on top of foot?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 20. Aug 2015, 02:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had arthritis on the top of my right foot for a few years now. I had it x-rayed a few years ago and, even though my GP told me that it wouldn't be osteoarthritis, the x-ray showed that it was. I apologise if I've mentioned this before.

Over the past few weeks the pain in the top of my foot when I walk has become worse and, occasionally, for no apparent reason, the pain becomes so severe that I can't put any weight on my foot. Then, it gradually eases off. I've also got a bony protuberance on the top of my foot, where it's tender.

Just wondered if others had this and what treatments were offered. Is there anything else that can be done, apart from steroid injections? I haven't been back to my GP about it since the x-ray.

Meg

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have loads of foot problems – top, bottom, side, you name it :roll: Probably RA in origins but now definitely OA too. As a result I've, for years, been virtually unable to walk unless wearing my custom-made surgical shoes.

I don't know what your GP will suggest, Megrose, but I'd definitely go back to him and explain. He might suggest physio, an orthotist or even an orthopaedic surgeon. He should, at least, be a little more willing to help given that he was wrong last time. (Or, just see a different one.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you Sticky. I will go back and see somebody different and maybe ask to be referred.

I saw my optician this morning and have been referred back to the hospital for an eye problem. Looks like I'm going to need an operation, which I was hoping I could get away with. But I'm seeing double at the moment - great fun, and very difficult to watch Wimbledon!

So, I'll hobble along for a little longer and worry about one thing at a time. Thanks again.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh dear! I'm sorry to learn that. I, too, avoid surgery when I can (not that it's obvious :lol: ) but sometimes it just has to be done.

I think it's a good plan to worry about one thing at a time but I do hope the foot problem won't make your recovery from surgery a bit scary and more difficult.

Eyes can't be neglected, can they? I hope your op goes well and you make a complete and speedy recovery.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Megrose,

Hope the eye surgery is soon and successful! Sending positive thoughts.

Feeling the foot pain with you, I've been struggling for weeks with swelling and pain on top of my foot and keep putting off the doctor visit...I've more than enough pain killers in the cupboard and suspect that their answer will be take more of them! :( Arthritis feels like the disease that just goes on giving.

Deb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello meg
    I hope the eye surgery goes well for you, you will need someone to puts drops in for you afterwards..has for the foot I do think yoy should get refered, like sw says maybe orthotics will help, I have had injections in my ankle, and had good results with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you Deb and Barbara.

Well, I got up this morning and, again, my foot is painful, clicking and tingling, so, instead of waiting until I've got my eye sorted, I made an appointment with the GP for next week.

I'm hoping to get a referral back to see the rheumy I saw a few months ago who gave me injections into my hands and hips. She was very good. I'm going to see the same GP who referred me before, so, fingers crossed.

As for my eye. I'm hoping I don't have to do the posturing afterwards - keeping your head down for a couple of weeks. It all depends on how the operation goes, so I'm hoping it's all straightforward. I'm also going to get some eye-shields (like sunglasses) I can wear over my glasses after the op. I don't have prescription sunglasses - and I'm very shortsighted - so these would be a good temporary measure. I'll probably need new glasses further down the line, anyway.

And Deb - make that appointment! I know that the injections I've had in my hands (thumbs) have worked really well.

There - all sorted! :D

Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad you've made an appointment, spurred on by your sensible actions I've just made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon to see the GP too.....here's hoping they can suggest something other than more painkillers!

Deb x
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Update: So I saw my GP who seemed a little bemused that the pain was on the top of my foot and not underneath. I was also asked if it might be my fibromyalgia. He did see the swelling, though and asked me to go for another x-ray.

The radiographer asked me what was wrong with my foot as nothing jumped out at him from checking the x-rays. He did do three views, though. The x-ray I had three years ago definitely showed OA. It's the chief radiographer who does the report, so I'm hoping that he/she will be able to see any degeneration. Is it difficult to spot OA on x-rays?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I don't think so. I don't think it ever has been with mine. I hope something comes of it all, Megrose and you can get some answers – and maybe treatment.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thanks, Sticky. I've made another appointment with the GP in a fortnight's time, so we'll see what happens.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Let's know the outcome please :)
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Meg,

I have a bony lump on top of both feet. They are called something but I'll be darned if I can remember the name. My top of foot bumps have not grown any more since I've work my orthotics. They seem to be helping more than I've ever found steroid injections to. I know some people rave about steroid jabs but I find the relief too fleeting and too limited to be bothered with that malarky. A good pair of shoes with orthotics is a must with foot issues, as I'm sure you know.

Best of luck with your eye surgery. My uncle had a corneal transplant and had to cover his eyes, so wore some really funky eye coverings. He looked fab and was determined to make the best out of it. Please keep us updated, you shall be in my thoughts.

x
  • Megrose489
    Options
    That's really lovely of you, Starburst, thank you. I'll know a bit more about my foot after next Friday. As for my initial eye appointment, the worst of it is getting to the hospital for 08.40 on 6th August. We live over an hour away by car, so that will be an early start! I think I would look rather dashing with a fancy eye-patch! 8)

Meg
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Update - Well, the x-ray report said that my foot was quite normal! When I reminded the GP that the last x-ray showed OA, he said that 'they're not perfect!' Wasn't sure whether he meant radiographers or x-rays!

He obviously decided to ignore the x-ray result and, based on the lump and my pain, we decided that he would refer me to the orthopaedic consultant to have a look and maybe give me an injection. So, at least I will be in the system. I do have insoles that I bought myself and, although they may have helped a little, the pain is still there and, as I said, sometimes I can't put my foot to the floor.

So, onwards and upwards, albeit hobbling a bit! :D

Best wishes to all. x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    My guess is that neither radiographers nor x-rays are perfect but at least you can take comfort in there being nothing really nasty going on there.

I think the referral is good. The orthopaedic guy should be able to give a definitive opinion. I hope it all helps.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Update: I saw the consultant yesterday and he had the x-ray in front of him. He laughed when I said that I'd been told there was nothing wrong. Apparently, they should have taken the x-ray while I was weight-bearing, but he could still see the OA in two joints at the top of my foot, plus a spur. He then examined my foot and pressed on the painful areas.

So, he's going to do a guided steroid injection in a couple of weeks. Pleased with this. I was given the choice of seeing somebody at a local private hospital, so I thought I would go for a nosy. Very nice. I waited about 5 minutes before seeing him and the waiting area was in a conservatory with easy chairs, newspapers and a coffee machine. It's like a different world!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds like a good result. I'm very pleased for you.

Yes, private hospitals do look more like hotels but, for a serious op, I'd want NHS every time.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well that's progress, there is something up and something can be done - hurrah! Once it's done I hope you will be able to rest the foot for as long as possible to give it the best chance to work. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben