Pain in the ... toe!

Options
littleelf
littleelf Member Posts: 69
edited 12. Jul 2015, 19:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
What the hell?! :shock:

I've 'come to terms' (as much as any one can) with the daily aches and pains that are going on in my body, but, oh my goodness! The pain that is now beginning to emanate from my right, big toe is awful.

On the one hand it's comical (well, you've got to laugh that despite my pain elsewhere, it's the stabbing, throbbing and pulsating pain in one toe which has brought me to a standstill), but on the other ... aaarg!

Any 'relief' suggestions?

Jacqui :?
True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The size of the joint doesn't always bear any relationship to the amount of pain emanating from it. Toes can be stinkers.

For both your toe and your back, start off with decent footwear that supports everything above it well. It might be summer but flip flops, and many sandals are a definite no-no along with high heels and slippers. Decent trainers can usually be relied upon.

If you've changed your footwear because of the heat then look no further. Just change back. If not, maybe ask about a referral to an orthotist. (And keep wiggling it.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • littleelf
    Options
    Thanks Sticky. I think, perhaps, it might have been my sandals. :S I usually wear Clark's comfy shoes and boots and I do have a pair of comfy, but not nice looking sandals.

I hoped it wouldn't come to this. Tis a sad day indeed. Alas, I must say farewell to my lovely shoes and sandals. But rather that than the pain. :'( sniff
    True strength is smiling when you want to cry; laughing to hide the pain; and going on, no matter what. <3
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Littleelf, first time posting on forum (apart from my 'Say hello' post!). So hello! 8) I have had a painful big toe for well for over ten years ish... It has got more painful the last couple of years so I totally sympathise with you. The pain that has come from that one joint has often out done the pains in other joints. When people asked me what is the problem it sounded odd me saying I have arthritis in my big toe. That is where it all started for me. I am used to it now. I have dealt with the 'shoe' issue and its hard I know!I have not worn heels or nice shoes/sandals for years. I wear clarks boots or sketchers. I have also had special insoles made by podiatry. Most recently a surgeon gave me a toe support to wear that wraps around your toe ,wraps around your foot and straps around the back of your heel. It is super comfy and supportive, to wear at night- you cannot wear it with shoes. But it is nice to wear when your toe is hurting. I also have a reusable ice pack that I put on my foot/toe after a long day that's soothing so maybe that is something you could invest in. Don't put it directly onto the skin tho. Before I got my icepack the Doctor laughed as I told him I had been using those cooling gel strips that you put on childrens heads when they are poorly (most lovely cooling feeling for painful big toes!) just to get some relief from the burning feeling! It did work tho! But prob best to get advice from the Doc to see what is suitable for you. Hope it eases off for you :D
  • littleelf
    Options
    Hi Rebecca

Thank you so much for your advice. I've just been told about the sketchers air walkers, which will go well with jeans. I never thought of using a cool pack, so that's a brill idea.

I hate that I have to keep ringing/seeing the doctor, but realise that it is a necessity. Will make an appointment today. Can I ask, do your other toes swell? Sometimes it's like the skin is so stretched and swollen.

It's so weird that out of all of my pain, I'm struggling with it most in my big toe. I keep laughing about it ... daft, I know.

Thanks again for all of your support and awesome suggestions :) x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Littleelf,

Like you I have lots of pain in the big toe area, at the moment my toe/upper foot are miserable, and have been for several weeks, and like you I'm putting off the doctor visit, I seem to spend an undue amount of time there. To answer your question, all of my toes swell on occasions, they look like sausages :oops: , and wearing any kind of shoe is a challenge. In fact this last week they have throbbed so much that sleep has been very elusive. I'm wondering whether the hot weather is a culprit for the extra painful spate.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Deb x
  • Rebeccarockchick
    Rebeccarockchick Member Posts: 50
    Options
    I know how daft it feels, honestly I do that a big toe causes so much pain. By the end of a day my toes all swell a little yes and burn hot. All day long I have cold feet then hot at night. The toe next to my big toe takes a beating too as I also have a bunion that is moving and getting worse, quite quickly, pushing onto the other toes. Quite recently a Surgeon showed me a recent x ray of my toe and the white patch of the arthritis so I think this helped me understand why the pain and why I cannot move my toe any more.I do have other conditions with my joints that causes problems with my feet, I personally have not felt insoles have helped me at all, but everyone is different and I have read quite a few stories of people they have helped loads.

I do like my sketchers, I wore the last pair out and have just bought another pair exactly the same as the last, my husband says I am only the person he knows that has bought the same pair of shoes twice I liked them so much.

You use your big toe to push off when walking and it takes all your weight. The foot is quite a complex body part I have learnt, with so many bones, ligaments etc that if you walk different due to pain in one area you can then cause pain in another and put strain on other parts of your foot. From big toe pain and walking 'not quite right' you can get extra back ache, knee/hip pain on top of the pains you already have. I always thought for my own self management the best place to start is your feet.

I agree also it seems you may always be at the Doctors, same here, but you have good reason and you don't have to struggle on, I am sure he will be able to advise you. Let us all know how you get on :D
  • littleelf
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support Rebecca. I have a phone appointment with the doc tomorrow. It seems they are really busy.

Hi Deb

Sorry to hear that your toe is so sore. I can now sympathise with others who are afflicted in that area.

I wondered if the swelling was all part and parcel - seems like it is. Your description is exactly that, like little sausages.

Funny you should mention the heat. I'm guessing that it's a contributing factor.

The pain hasn't been too bad the last couple of days, so hopefully it's on its way out. I'm able to get a lot of rest, so that's good.

Hope your pain eases for a good night's sleep x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi littleelf, has you already know big toes can be so very painful, it is down to all the nerves in there, my father suffered from gout, and used to put ice on his...maybe your gp ..when you get to see him that is..will be able to give you somthing to help
    Love
    Barbara
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I also have pain in my toes, that seem to have a life of their own at times (and really are sausages). I had a fusion in my left big toe joint in October but unfortunately got some complications and it's still not fully fused and still hurts to walk on it. I have just discovered some trainers that take all the pressure off your toes (recommended by my podiatrist) They are Sketchers Shape Ups, and have a slight 'rocker bottom' sole that means pressure is taken off your toes . My walking is so much better and pain reduced loads when I wear them.
    The original styles were quite heavy (not great for arthritic ankles) but the pair I got are lightweight and look ok. I got them via QVC which means you can wear them (even outside) for 28 days to try them. Even if they are worn they will give you a full refund if they don't suit.
    I like wearing dresses (especailly vintage style) so was upset I could no longer wear sandals. However these trainers make such a difference to my life it's worth it -and i wear them with dresses anyway. some people have even stopped me and said " I like your trainers".
    Worth a try???
    Trisha x