Hello and some questions

Options
hedgepig
hedgepig Member Posts: 4
edited 9. Jul 2015, 11:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all, despite being 72 I have never had any sort of arthritic problem, until now that is. I was diagnosed with gout some 3 months back and started on Allopurinol but they didn't suit me so that was switched to 80mg Febuxostat which has dropped my Uric Acid levels to "normal" I think it was 120 last time tested. It was about 350 at diagnosis.

I have had flare ups as expected as my crystals move. I have had it in my feet ankle and now my knees, never in my big toe!

I have had about 6 flare ups in the last couple of months and last week I had one in my left knee, Colchicine works well for me and knocks it down by the end of the second day. Today I woke up (and in the night) with it in my RIGHT knee.

I used to be active and ride a bike etc, but now I feel a bit delicate, I know any hard physical activity will bring on an attack, at least it does with me.

How long does it take to start to settle down?

I am also diabetic with high blood pressure, both controlled quite well. I was on diuretics but have been off them for some time.

My latest visit to the docs was for the results of my blood tests, all normal EXCEPT my ALT level that was 107 so it's more blood tests in a few weeks. The doc is not sure if it is the Febuxostat causing it or something else.

Does making yourself exercise through the pain of gout help or not? I.e does it help the crystals break up more quickly?

That's enough, sorry it's so long.

Hedgepig ( I help hedgehogs and release them in suitable places, leave a 4" gap so they can get around please)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hedgepig, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello hedgepig and welcome to the forum :D

We don't actually get many people with gout on here. Maybe that's because it's something that often tends to either go away completely between flares or can be kept at bay by allopurinol. I have two friends who take the latter and no-one would ever guess either had any problems. I guess that sort of thing must make it doubly annoying for you given that yours is still rearing its ugly head regularly.

I have no personal experience of it (My poison is RA) so I'll just refer you to Arthritis Care's own info on it http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/AboutArthritis/Conditions/Gout I hope that will help somewhat.

(I have taken several late-born young hoglets to our nearest Hedgehog Preservation Society person when I've found them in the garden, in daylight, in September. I can't help them myself as I don't bend far enough :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hedgepig
    hedgepig Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you both, I have had a read of the forum info. and it's pretty well what I already knew, the doc did warn me to expect "flare ups" whilst the crystals are dissolved away. I though it might be a few weeks, but no, reading elsewhere it can be years!

I am not going to talk about the pain of gout, no doubt many others on here suffer far worse, anyway my knee has eased somewhat and I am going to dig a new bit for my rockery :-)

For "Stickywicket"
    Sorry mods I know it's off topic but it's short :-)

Autumn juvenile hedgehogs are often underweight, laden with worms and would not make it through the winter. Intervention is the only way and it boosts the population. Feeding and caring for them is quite involved, not something I do (I could but the nice lady at the local rescue centre does that for me). I simply let them go (slowly) and keep them fed and watered and watch for problems (I have a "Trail" camera, great fun)

Off topic finished won't do it again, honest.

Hedgepig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It's true there will always be others in more pain or worse off than ourselves but that doesn't really shift our own pain.

I like your solution of making hay, or rockeries, while the sun shines and the knee behaves a bit better but, on a cautionary note, you might just exercise a bit of caution. If gout is like RA and OA it will sneak off briefly to convince you you have a window of opportunity and then leap back in shouting 'gotcha'. Basically, stay aware and stop when you feel you have a bit more mileage in you.

My little hoglets have all been underweight and had tics. The camera must provide a lot of fun. Please don't apologise for going off topic. Our Mods all understand that distraction is a wonderful way of dealing with pain (look, no side-effects :lol: ) and your camera has to be a particularly fascinating one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Hedgepig
    Gout is very painful has you already know, my father and brother both suffered from it, now I know my brother was told that swimming us good because you are supported by the water so low inpact, but I dont thing you should excersie the joint other than that, I do hope it inproves very soon for you ....
    Love
    Barbara