question, can too much exercise trigger a flare up?

Options
Gwynedd
Gwynedd Member Posts: 32
edited 8. Jul 2015, 15:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Last week I felt really well, so I donned my walking shoes and went for a 7 mile walk. I felt ok, a little sore on my toes but not too bad. A few days later my joint pain had kicked in big time :( with pain in most joints especially my toes. As I yet have an undiagnosed condition (possible PSA)
So I guess what I'm asking as a newbie is has any of you had a worsening of symptoms after strenuous exercise? Or was it just a coincidence,?
Thanks to all
Make hay while the sunshines

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We're not medics, just practising arthritics :roll: but my guess is the unusual amount of exercise may well have triggered a flare. Exercise is not only good but vital if we are to have quality of life but, unfortunately, it needs to be regular and building up gently rather than a quick sprint when the mood takes us :wink:

Walking, of itself, is good but 7 miles does sound a lot unless you regularly do just a mile or so short of that. It's one of my constant frustrations that, whenever I've had to forego exercising for a week or so, I must build up again virtually from scratch. In fact, I often feel some exercises are doing me no good at all - until I've not done them for a while. Then I realise they were and are.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Gwynedd
    Options
    Thanks SW,
    Prior to my getting ill with this I was very active and a 7 mile walk was literally a walk in the park :wink:
    I obviously need to rethink my fitness regime and as you suggest build up to it. I've been out of action for a few months so I guess I'll have to be patient. I just felt so good I ignored common sense :oops:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    The key question is always Was it worth it? I hope it was. We have to strike a balance between being sensible and having fun :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Gwynedd wrote:
    Hi all,
    So I guess what I'm asking as a newbie is has any of you had a worsening of symptoms after strenuous exercise? Or was it just a coincidence,?
    Thanks to all

Hi Gwynedd

The answer is YES and if it happens it is no coincidence for me anyway. If I enjoy what I have done and then suffer with extra pain or whatever, I do not mind as I am well aware this is how it can be, unfortunately. I am not too good at pacing myself even after all these years but for me having a great time rules over what may happen as a result. Having been diagnosed with Osteoporosis I would be devasted if I fractured something but if it is pain and discomfort I can put up with that knowing it will go .... hopefully.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Gwynedd
    Options
    Thank you Elnafin,
    I did enjoy myself, the mental health benefits were great!
    If I can anticipate that my actions may cause a flare up then I can be prepared, maybe even plan for it on quiet days. As you say the benefits can out weigh the negatives. I'm a college lecturer so at the moment I'm off work, I am lucky in that I don't have to consider the impact on my working life for the next few months.
    Make hay while the sunshines :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again, Gwynedd

I am lucky that I have not worked for a number of years so I also do not have the worry of holding down a job and all that entails. I can juggle things around so from that point of view it is easier to cope with the good and the bad day(s) or things can perhaps be swapped around. It is always good to keep moving, exercise, walk, whatever one can do and enjoy doing and for me I am sure that always being as active as I can and also pushing myself at times, helps me.

Make the most of your time off work, Gwynedd. Perhaps you may see a pattern and get to know how much you can do and be ok and when you may push yourself, knowlingly or unknowingly, how long it may take to "recover".

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.