bad night again

Options
bb61
bb61 Member Posts: 8
edited 29. Jul 2015, 03:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
oh god I had a bad night again I really cant get comfy my hips and shoulders are agony, I need some advice as how to try and ease my discomfort, im waking up aching terrible, I change positions then half hour later the same again,,,, im at my wits end. I cant take any more pain killers I do top up with paracetamol couple of times a night but what else any suggestions are more than welcome thanks, x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's a fact that, if we can just get some decent sleep, we cope so much better with all manner of things during the day so I sorry you're struggling with sleep right now.

You say you can't take any more painkillers but don't mention what you are already taking. (I apologise if you've already told us in a previous post :oops: ) The pain meds you are taking clearly aren't working so maybe you need to see your GP to sort out some different ones. Topping up with paracetamol might not be a good idea especially if your regular pain meds contain paracetamol.

Other than the meds themselves, I'd start with your bed. How old is it? Ten years is considered old for a mattress and, in any case, what suited you when you bought the bed might not fulfill your current needs. You'll find a whole host of threads on here about mattresses and pillows but the majority of us seem to prefer either a mattress with a memory foam top or a loose 'topper'.

Waking up having to turn over is one problem which many of us face but waking every half hour is another matter. Do you get off to sleep again reasonably quickly? I never lie in bed trying to sleep. I get up, have a cuppa and, if necessary, some pain relief then usually manage to get back off quickly. It might be worth keeping back some of your pain meds for during the night rather than taking them during the day, bearing in mind how, and how often, you're supposed to take them.

I hope tonight is better but, if not, I'd be making an appointment to see my GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a mattress topper and it has made a big difference. I do tend to wake quite often in the night and often find it hard to drift off initially. I find that listening to radio4/world service, on quietly helps me as focussing on it acts as a distraction.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I find a memory foam topper an essential now.......sleeping without one on holiday was a nightmare! I also have 5 pillows of different heights and use varying numbers of them to make a kind of 'nest' to support sore shoulders-they go in and out of bed through the night as I feel the need :oops: . I wonder if you've tried simple self help like a wheat pack or ice pack according to which gives you most relief? I prefer a warmed wheat pack with a little essential oil to smell nice (geranium or lavender are restful). Soft relaxing music is sometimes helpful in the background. If all else fails I get up to make more Horlicks and read until I feel ready to sleep again :oops:

Deb xx
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Trying to get a good night sleep is a very individual thing, one thing that works for someone makes things worse for somebody else. My advice would be to speak to your doctor about this and see if there is anything that they can prescribe to help you through the night.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are things now? Any better? I hope so.
    Steven Wright
  • bb61
    Options
    hi all
    thanks for the replies, sorry I didn't give enough info,, im on a buprenorphine 10mg patch changed every 7 days, my gp has stated only to top up with paracetamol (which I save for the night time) im still quite active with walking et, im waiting for shoulder surgery calcification and arthritic nodules, but I have pain in my other shoulder also, my hips are awful ,, I usually take 2 paracetamol about half 9 at night and can drop off quite easy its staying asleep as maybe 2/3 hours later the pain wakes me and it goes on like that throughout the night, im unable to take any sleeping tablets as im also fulltime carer for hubby who has early onset dementia so needs constant supervision, my bed/mattress s fairly new 2 years bought it due to my joints starting to ache, I have thought about a memory topper but afraid to purchase one then not being of use, as their not cheap!, I have to state I am quite small too so no body fat to support me, im using the ibrufen gels at the moment to see if that might help, who would get old eh,,, bb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I empathise, night time is always the worst for me. My troubled joints are not the same as yours but I reckon there's no need to invest in a topper - how about a high tog (so usually thicker) double duvet? This can be put over your current mattress or folded so only your side is padded. Some members on here have found this better than a topper - and it's easier to manhandle. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You have a lot on your plate. Having had a mother-in-law with dementia I, too, would not wish to be sleeping too deeply if my husband had the same.

As DD says, why not try a duvet just to see how well it might work for you? Or an extra pillow or two?

I wonder when you last asked your GP for a review of pain medication. You seem to be on a hefty whack of it during the day but very little at night. It might be that a different balance could be achieved. Maybe your GP would be happy for you to take something a little stronger at night (but not so strong it would knock you out) if you could manage on something weaker during the day. Or, maybe you could ask for a referral to a Pain Clinic. They are experts at dealing with such matters.

I hope you can find something to help.
    Steven Wright
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    You poor thing....sleepless nights and pain are a horrible combination. I know we're not supposed to advertise on here but I got my mattress topper (wonderful) via QVC. I get lots of stuff via them as you can actually use the item for 28 days and return if it dosn't suit (therefore no risk with expensive items) I also get shoes with them for the same reason, and try out pillows etc! If it's a large object they will even collect it from you if you send it back (all you lose is the postage)
    i hope you get a good night soon
    Trisha x
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Sleep seems a distant memory, and pain may seem worse at night when you are doing nothing but thinking about it. Recently, I have found putting my iPod on with headphones has helped me slightly as it distracts. I still wake frequently but listening to music does seem to distract my brain. I hope you get some relief too as no sleep us no joke xxx
  • bb61
    Options
    morning all,
    well had my first rheumy appointment and she said its not rheumatoid ( already knew due to blood test) shes says im doing all the right things, ie exercise when I can , use the gel and capsican cream, as I already am on a morphine patch she says best ask my gp to review this to enable me to have something a little stronger at night, i had xray done on my hips, but as she says as its osteo then not an awful lot can be done until I reach a stage to have joint replacenments, she has also referred me to an ot to have some hand/thumb splints made up as my thumbs are getting quite mis shapen!! so am going to soldier on and just keep using the creams gels etc, reading this forum helps as its good to know your not alone in this, I had a fairly good night, (up 3 times) I managed to get back to sleep at 4 once the paracetamol and creams kicked in, a Monday and tues night is always worse as I think my pain relief patch may be wearing down (change on a Wednesday ), ive been chatting my my old gymbuddy and he has had one hip replacement and waiting for the other so much for keeping yourself fit!!!!, well got a busy day today my husband goes into hospital this morning for a kidney procedure so ill be on my feet most of the day, thank you all for support,
    Trisha :::: ive only managed a quick browse on the qvc website but they look interesting so going to check them out when I have more time, thanks, x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks for the update, bb61. It's always nice to know how people are getting on, especially after significant appointments. I hope the thumb splints will help. I think two or three people on here have mentioned them so, if you want info on them, start a new thread.

I'm sorry to hear your husband has to have a kidney procedure. That will cause you more stress which isn't good. I hope all goes well.

As for your gym friend – exercise is good for arthritis but it has to be the right kind of exercise not the sort that stresses joints further. Gym bunnies sometimes get addicted to the stressful kind.
    Steven Wright