I can hear my tinnitus!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 15. Jul 2015, 13:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
And I can't tell you how welcome that is. :wink: The Spouse and me have spent a few days in the heart of Oxford, to have a brief holiday, celebrate a minor wedding anniversary and for me to meet friends and family in Beaconsfield. The hotel was lovely but the noise! :shock: I had forgotten how loud urban life can be, our room overlooked one of the main roads in the city and various buses ran all night long. Constantly, frequently and often. :( During the day it was buses together with dustcarts, lorries, cars and taxis, plus hordes of tourists. Noise, noise, noise, topped up with more noise.

Now we're back in the peace and quiet of our house and it is bliss. I can hear birds, a vague background hum of traffic but, oddly (and most welcome of all) the high-pitch screaming and whistling of the tinnitus which is lovely.

Weird? Moi? Yup. :D

I plan to catch up tomorrow so, to the new ones I have missed I say welcome, to the old hands who may be in some trouble I send encouragement, and to the rest who are basically doing OK I say hurrah and long may that last. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are funny, DD. :) How was Oxford? I had tentative plans to go there this weekend but we cancelled last minute as I'm feeling a under the weather. I think there's something therapeutic about the more natural sounds, rather than the artificial buzz of city life.

Welcome back to the fold, hope you had a good time. Take it easy and enjoy the birds (and humming!).
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Welcome back. I'm pleased that you've been away. I'd noticed you wasn't around and was getting a little concerned.

Take it easy with catching up on laundry and other chores.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just to say welcome back, hope that in spite of the noise you had a good visit to Oxford and take it steady with the post holiday jobs.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Ah, there's nothing quite like tinnitus though bird song can be a pleasant alternative :wink:

Glad you had a good, if somewhat noisy, time. Welcome back. :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Nice to see you back DD thought you had been a bit quiet, glad you had a good time xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies. Sophie? Oxford is a lovely city (if you like pens and oddities you must visit Scriptum in Turl Street, it's a fantastic but very small shop: their handmade writing paper is superb. I very nearly bought a proper quill pen and then regained my common sense.)

We had a lovely time, he did much walking and looking at colleges, museums and views, I did much walking round the shops and one college (Balliol, beautiful) plus the New Bodleian which had a fascinating exhibition about genius: it may be online and worth a look. Elizabeth 1 had very neat handwriting!

We timed our visit to perfection: the filming of an episode of Lewis was going on and I had the pleasure of seeing L Fox and K Whatley Esqs. in the flesh. I think I also saw Colin Dexter - all three ate at our hotel at various times. Now, however, comes the payback for the fun. When away I paid an emergency visit to Boots for some tubigrip - something has happened to my right knee so any movement takes a little planning and preparation. :roll: I am tired beyond measure and - worst of ALL - I HAVE to cook for the first time in a week. I am miffed. :wink: DD
  • MickeyJoints
    MickeyJoints Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi DD,

As a fellow sufferer of tinnitus I'm curious as to why you feel happy about hearing it again. I prefer some noise where ever I am to mask the internal noise. Smooth deep house is my preference (and listening to it as well as tech-house and techno exacerbated my deafness in the first place. Dammit!) last century.

I like to get away from the sounds as often as I can and silence is never silence any more - there's always the buzzing and screeching. Why do you like that?!? :-)

Cheers,
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I like it because it's a familiar noise which I can handle because I know where I am. The racket outside the hotel kept me awake, it was unpredictable, varied much in length, volume and rumbling and all-in-all it was too hard to adjust. I like peace and quiet when attempting to drop off and when I repeatedly wake - my tinnitus is as a side-effect of one of my meds so may not be as bad as that experienced by others.

Everything worsens at night, doesn't it? Pain, tinnitus, worries, fears all come to the fore in the dark time. :( DD