Strange question but massive lumps under big toes ?

Options
Dancing Girl
Dancing Girl Member Posts: 25
edited 13. Jul 2015, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
...and on balls of feet just under the big toes :o

Ok, so I've had these for ages and although they don't cause me any pain at all (well unless I'm going out and try and wear shoes that are unsuitable for RA :oops: ) they're just horrible big hard lumps with dry skin on them.

Nearly every time I see Rheumy I completely forget to mention them, have searched high and low online and all it throws up are bunions but these are under my feet, not at the sides.

What on earth are they and does anyone else have these unsightly lumps ? :? :shock: :o

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dancing Girl

Rheumatoid nodules perhaps?

"In rheumatoid arthritis, firm, pea-sized lumps can occur at pressure points such as your big toe joints, the back of your heels or on your toes. Nodules on the soles of your feet can be particularly uncomfortable. Padding can ease the discomfort but, in some cases, the nodules may need to be removed surgically."

See more at: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/foot-pain/specific-foot-conditions.aspx#sthash.OaV2jZ3f.dpuf

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I have RA and have had all manner of lumps and bumps all over my feet for years. I just regard them as part of the disease though they might have individual name tags :wink: I've always just assumed that the bones will naturally drop into unscheduled positions as everything goes pear-shaped down there yet they still have to beat the full body weight. Why not leave yourself a reminder to ask your rheumatologist or GP next time you see one of them?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Thanks to RA, my feet/toes look nothing like they were pre-RA, but like SW, I always assume it`s all part of the fun we have with the jolly old RA.

My rheumy took some X-rays of my feet last time I saw her, but not discussed anything about them yet.