Orthopaedic appointment

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 15. Jul 2015, 10:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, no operation for the moment at least. I will be going for anothe MRI on my neck and will then have a follow up appointment. I asked if he thought I would need further surgery and he said he thought not.

While I'm obviously pleased I'm not going back to work on Friday having to tell the head I will be off sgain it did feel as though he wasn't taking me seriously. It was a very minimal examination of my arm which of course wasn't too bad at that point.

It's so hard describe as even when my arm/hand pain is at its worst I can move it although it is incredibly painful to do so, and at times I support my right arm with my left.

Anyway I have booked another appointment with my long suffering GP for next Friday to feedback, get some more meds and get his take on it, he is good at doing letters so I may ask him to write another for me as he is clear that where my neck /back/arm are concerned I do have clear physical problems which need to be addressed.

Thanks for all your support.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I like your first paragraph. No surgery is usually a good option :D

Some appointments just don't seem as satisfying as others, even with the same docs. Of course, we have to factor in their own bad days, grumpy patients (Definitely not you) and difficulties. Yes, your GP is the best to talk it over with and I hope you will feel a bit more reassured afterwards.

I don't have your nerve problems but I have had times when I have had to lift one arm or leg with the other. Not good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Good news about no surgery, Slosh - always good to hear.

I think it's an excellent idea to talk things over with your GP, who is familiar with you and has the whole picture, as it were.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks both. I do wonder if he was having an off day. I mentioned the prolapsed disc the physio spotted in my last back MRI amd he just dismissed it "that's nothing " . I am beginning to agree with my GP who feels that as the official neuro response to my leg problem is that it's not a physical problem but is a psychological /psychiatric one everything is being attributed to that. He asked very briefly about my leg, then cut me off short saying "Do you still need to use those?" as he pointed to my crutches! I felt like saying I only had them for the fun of it but thought better of it.

What is interesting is that the physio who spotted the prolapsed disc in my spine said it wasn't clear but it did seem to be impinging on the spinal cord at the point which would affect the whole leg not just the foot.

Oh well, onwards and upwards, and I am relieved that I seem to be dodging the surgery bullet.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Saabina
    Saabina Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh dear I know how you feel! I am starting to think I am barking mad! They are dismissing prolapsed and torn discs on me and all these neuro sensations are awful!

Doctors wind me up!
  • Slosh
    Options
    So glad it's just not me! I will have a good chat with my GP next week, he doesn't have a lot of time for the local hospital, but also says they need to come up with a plan for me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Saabina
    Saabina Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    So glad it's just not me! I will have a good chat with my GP next week, he doesn't have a lot of time for the local hospital, but also says they need to come up with a plan for me.

Definitely not just you. I am starting to think that it is third time lucky with the GPs.. I feel like I have to go several times! And they hand any kinds of tablets out without wanting to hear how you feel about that.

Sensory/neuro issues are very important and so are slipped/torn discs.

I would write a complaint but I want to know what I have first :lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Slosh

I have not read any of your other posts so probably have not got as much information about you as I should have, but I see you mention inpingement on the spinal cord.

I was diagnosed with that and it affected my arms and sometimes I was kind of dragging my foot (which scared me) and it was a real effort to put that leg forward when walking. I had an op, neck end and it took about 18 months to two years or even more to get as well as I was going to get.I always knew that the surgeon could not mend the damage that had ocurred but he could prevent more damage happening if he operated. I worked hard on my walking post op and persevered although I did fall which was always a shock but I still would not let the fear of falling stop me going out walking. I am so grateful I had an operation fairly quickly although I was pretty frightened something may go wrong especially when told all that could perhaps go wrong. For me it was a positive outcome and I cannot thank the surgeon enough.
    I have not fallen for a very long time now but sometimes I trip and this is a wake up call to be careful.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Is there any chance you could get referred to see someone else, Slosh? I made the mistake of telling one of the surgeons I saw that I could live with the pain (well of course I could, I was doing so, but did I want to?) and that was that! I know it is hard to get a second opinion but sometime it is worth playing your face a bit.
  • Slosh
    Options
    I did think about asking for a second opinion but think my best bet is to wait until I have this next MRI, see the consultant again and then decide. It was quite a late appointment yesterday and having thought through things over night he did not completely dismiss my concerns as I know MRIs are only requested when needed. I was feeling very anxious as well.

Elnafinn, I don't have foot drop, in fact my left foot has a limited range of movement, but what is called "significant muscle weakness " throughout my left leg. The neurologist says it is due to my brain switching off the signals and so I have been referred to physio (had intensive weekly sessiosesessions earlier this year but was discharged as it was not effective ), OT, told I could be waiting up to year, and Adult mental health, still waiting. The Orths team don't want to consider any other cause until I have been seen by mental health. The physio spotted an impingement in my spine at a point where it would affect the whole of my leg but said it was unclear and the consultant dismissed it. I had neck fusion surgery last year two remove two discs and when my walking began to get worse, I had some problems pre surgery but now use crutches, I had another which showed another disc starting to pop out, I guess this next scan will be to check on this disc.

I will have a good chat with the physio Monday and then will see my lovely GP next Friday and talk everything through with him.

Still at least the sun has come out now and I've done a bit of online retail therapy.

Good luck with your walking and I hope you don't have any more falls.
    Julian of Norwich