A summer to love

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 17. Jul 2015, 16:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Some of you might remember that this time last year I had become the arthritis patient whose methotrexate therapy had finall stopped being enough. What followed, whilst I went through the rigmarole of trying to control it all with steroids and then meeting the requirements for anti-TNF therapy followed by lots of administration with regards to that and a nasty reaction to Enbrel, was a summer not to love. The sun shone but I didn't have the energy or ability to get out and enjoy it much. I was sore, I was swollen and most of all I was in a state of constant fatigue which no amount of sleep and rest could conquer.

Yesterday I had a review with the nurse as required for the Humira patient protocol and it was a welcome opportunity to reflect on where things are now. Things are good and I knew that but having to consider it and answer questions and tick boxes and put pain on scales made me realise just how good and how far I am from that person last year. I put my pain at two :o and when the nurse asked about energy levels that was when it really hit home how damned well things are going. Fine was my response, yes I can make it through the day even with the twins who were unnervingly quiet and well behaved throughout the appointment. I don't think I could have imagined things being this good twelve months ago. It isn't just the medicines, my life has altered and I have traded some stuff, like working in an office with the solitude of working alone at home but seriously, the trade offs are small battles and at the moment arthritis may have won those battles but I, me and my meds, am winning the war. It might not last, it felt like arthritis had a small victory when I turned into a figure with balloon joints during the heatwave but things are good and so this is the summer to love. I'm loving wandering through my local field with the girls, I'm enjoying climbing to the top of the hill with my dogs. I could do neither twelve months ago. I'm so so lucky and I got so much support here during that time...thank you all again.

I was only slightly miffed when the nurse looked at my fingers (which I thought looked very normal and fine) and commented taht there was a fair degree of residual swelling. I suppose arthritis won that little battle too but who cares?!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am so, so pleased to hear things are going well for you. I think I joined last year when things were so difficult and was full of admiration for you. Long may it continue
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    It's great to hear you are doing so well, LV, after previous struggles. I was lucky in that humira had a similar effect on me.

Hope it lasts a long time for you - I'm on my 8th year of humira now, and only just beginning to notice it's not working as well, though I'm still a lot better than I was before it was prescribed for me.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    LV you have more than earned your 'summer to love'. I remember last year. It was very tough for you though you put up with everything with good grace and humour and a distinct lack of self pity. You also had some tough decisions to make re work.You will deservedly appreciate this summer all the more for the trials and tribulations of last year.
    I hope the fingers behave but it's good that the nurse is aware of them. Now get out in those fields and have fun :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    LV thank you for sharing the good stuff....sometimes it's easy to lose sight of it when the rough stuff is winning. Enjoy the rest of the summer with your lovely girlies......lots of walks and picnics and proper 'mummy' stuff.

Deb xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am so pleased for you. :D The good times do appear and long may they last. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I too am really pleased things are going well for you LV :D
    Make this a summer to remember ((((()))))
    Numpty
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    So happy for you LV and a lovely title for your positive post!

I can picture you wandering through the fields with your girls and really valuing and cherishing those moments - having had RA and babies/toddlers I can guarantee you remember the good moments much more than the difficult times and that's 40 years later!

Long may this last for you and your family :)

xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am so pleased at last things have got better for you if anyone deserves it you do, you have been so supportive to others even when things have been tough for yourself. Enjoy the rest of your summer to love well deserved LV (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Very good news, LV. Long may it continue.

Meg
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    What a lovely post to read. I am genuinely really pleased for you and you deserve to have a summer to love with your gorgeous girlies. I am full of admiration for you. You are amazing! x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    What a lovely post LV and I hope that it will give encouragement to those newbies who are at the beginning of their struggle to make a life with arthritis.