Emotion overload.

Options
2»

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's not good that you have an infection but at least you now know why you're feeling so bad and the decision to work or not to work is now made for you.

Sometimes, because we are so used to worknig through the rubbish, we fail to realise that, actually, this particular dung heap, is insurmountable.

Sofa and daytime TV for you it is. I don't envy you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    dibdab wrote:
    If the new antibiotics are really strong you might want to think about trying to eat some live yoghurt each day to help the digestion......strong antibiotics can wipe out the useful flora in the gut, and live yoghurt goes some way towards replacing them

I'm never quite sure whether this is true or not. I used to do it until I was told that antibios, being indiscriminate, will just gobble up the good bacteria from the yoghourt / probiotics along with the bad ones. I was told to wait until I'd finished the course and then try to shove the good ones in. I'd love to know what the truth is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    That's what I've always been told too Sticky - yogurt after the antibio course to re-establish the gut flora. Perhaps one for the pharmacist?
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I have been taking acidophilus daily for a while now. It's probably coincidence but I've managed to escape the dreaded thrush despite having 3 courses of antibiotics over recent months. Prior to this, I was having a week long thrush episode every couple of weeks.

I'm not convinced about the positives of good bacteria but desperate times call for desperate measures. My mum has ulcerative colitis and has been told by (nearly!) everyone to try these good bacteria drinks but the evidence doesn't suggest it actually works. That said, there's an awful lot to be said for the placebo effect.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    That said, there's an awful lot to be said for the placebo effect.
    Not least that they can prove at least as efficacious, if not more so in some cases, as drugs, and much less likely to cause side effects( but not impossible, the mind being the wonderful thing it is!)