Trying for a baby...

K7915
K7915 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Jul 2015, 16:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I was diagnosed with serionegative arthritis when I was 17 I am now 34, over the years I have been on suferzalizine and methotrexate, last July my husband and I decided to try for a second child, I have a gorgeous 3 year old boy. I came off all medication as I had done for my previous pregnancy leaving it 6 months before trying. In January we were delighted that we had fallen straight away however I had a miscarriage in March, since December my arthritis has been getting progressively worse, and I am now in a continual flare where I may get a couple of days relief at a time, constantly calling the hospital to have knees drained and steroid injections. Now however both my knees have gone at the same time which is causing more problems than usual, I do my best to keep going but it is beginning to become impossible, I have had several of my close family ask if it is time I go make on my meds, this to me means giving up on the chance to have a brother or sister for my son. I am feeling very isolated and confused and am not sure what to do for the best. I have never been on a forum before and just needed to speak to anyone who may have been in a similar situation.

Sorry it's a long post.

Kerry

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kerry

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    Mod B
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Hi Kerry and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are going through a really hard time and I am astounded by your bravery and will to keep trying. I have two year olds and I too had to come off all my meds to get pregnant so I know just how hard that can be. I know you cannot risk pregnancy and meth but I know some of the other DMARDs can be used whilst trying to conceive. Has your rheumatology department anything to say that way? I only managed a three month withdrawal because my joints went down hill fast and it was felt that my physical health was deteriorating to the kind of levels where my body probably wouldn't be fertile if I went the whole 6 months. I don't know if that is something to bear in mind. I'm so sorry that you suffered a miscarriage, that is so sad, especially given how hard things already were for you. I understand how isolated and confused you must feel - it was being in that strange state of med withdrawal, flare and trying for a baby that got me to this forum and like you I'd never been on a forum before. I'm glad I found here because it is a kind place and very supportive. I hope you find it just as helpful and supportive as I have.

It is worth mentioning, since you have a three year old so must be doing a fair bit of activity sorting him out, that the less you can do, the kinder you can be to yourself in terms of resting, relaxing, trying to have fun (watching films) the better your body will cope with lots of things.

A big hug to you (((()))) LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Hi Kerry

Welcome from me too, but so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time and very sad to hear about the miscarriage.

I understand the desire for more children and was in the same position myself many years ago after the onset of severe RA after the birth of our first son. I was really fortunate and did manage to have two more children and the pregnancies were very good for my disease, and put it into remission though it did come back afterwards.
    Some drugs are OK in pregnancy (sulphasalazine, steroids) and may be an option for you. You need to gain some kind of control over the RA to cope with your gorgeous 3 year old anyway, so do hope your rheumy/rheumatology nurse will be helpful to you in your difficult situation.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you get on xx