Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Prednisolone?

tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
edited 7. Aug 2015, 13:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
My wife as just collected my repeat prescription and for some reason the doctor as included prednisolone 5mg? The doctor gave no mention of this to me last week.
I Now it's an anti inflammatory but I already naproxen 500mg wondering why she as done this, I will of course ring her,
Ted

Comments

  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Prednisolone is not an anti-inflammatory, Ted, it's a corticosteroid. They need treating with respect so I think your plan of ringing up to check is a good one as you need to be told how to take them. Please let's know the outcome.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Prednisolone is not an anti-inflammatory, Ted, it's a corticosteroid. They need treating with respect so I think your plan of ringing up to check is a good one as you need to be told how to take them. Please let's know the outcome.
    Wow! Didn't real use that, thank you for highlighting that for me sticky, will update the list once the dr contacts me, can't understand why she as prescribed it?
  • As5567As5567 Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I also would advise checking with your doctor why pred has been prescribed.

    If you can avoid them then I would, it's a great medication for the short term, but so bad for you in the long term. And very difficult to come off the medication too.
  • tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As5567 wrote:
    I also would advise checking with your doctor why pred has been prescribed.

    If you can avoid them then I would, it's a great medication for the short term, but so bad for you in the long term. And very difficult to come off the medication too.
    Hi, I am definitely going to ask why I have been prescribed this, the only time I have come across this medication before was when the doctor prescribed it to my late Dad who was in the final stages of lung cancer!

    I am proper confused by it tbh
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This could be simply a clerical / clinical error and you are very wise to check. Please let us know the outcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    This could be simply a clerical / clinical error and you are very wise to check. Please let us know the outcome. DD
    Thanks DD I will update asap
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, we're a week on now, have you been able to get to the bottom of this mystery? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, we're a week on now, have you been able to get to the bottom of this mystery? DD
    Hi DD,
    Yes, spoke to my GP last night, she said she prescribed it to help with my arthritis, she said it would provide some relief.
    Ted
  • dibdabdibdab Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Ted,

    Glad you got back to your GP, in my experience a short burst of prednisolone is great for settling down inflammation, though I have trouble sleeping when I take it. I mostly get it for my asthma, but it has the happy side effect of relieving my Rheumatoid arthritis when I take it. As the others have said, I would be wary of long term use if you can manage without it, but in the short term if you GP thinks it will help I hope it gives you some freedom from pain for a while.

    Deb xx
  • tedthered64tedthered64 Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi Ted,

    Glad you got back to your GP, in my experience a short burst of prednisolone is great for settling down inflammation, though I have trouble sleeping when I take it. I mostly get it for my asthma, but it has the happy side effect of relieving my Rheumatoid arthritis when I take it. As the others have said, I would be wary of long term use if you can manage without it, but in the short term if you GP thinks it will help I hope it gives you some freedom from pain for a while.

    Deb xx
    Hi Deb,
    Thank you, I will use it and see if it helps, going through a really bad time at the minute with pain everywhere, so anything that helps will be a relief.
    Ted x
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was given pred when I had to come off all the other meds and I loved it. It made me feel so much better (unlike any of the other stuff) and removed many of my symptoms, even easing the pain to some degree. It's a pleasant feeling but not to be relied upon because it masks the trouble rather than addressing it. 5mg is a fairly small dose, how many tablets do you have? I'm assuming it will be a short course of treatment and I hope it helps. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
Sign In or Register to comment.