I am enfeebled.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Aug 2015, 08:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I love that phrase, it crops up in one of my favourite light-reading novels, Hens Dancing, by Rafaella Barker. The heroine, Venetia, uses this term to excuse her giving her children ice cream for breakfast, but in her case the enfeeblement was due to self-induced causes involving alcohol. Not guilty of that, M'lud!

I picked up a tummy bug a couple of weeks ago, which is still rumbling (boom-boom!) on, around the same time I was nipped during the night by a midgy thing, and that is reluctantly clearing. I withheld the meth for one week but last week was a double with humira too so things have worsened. I have a boil at the corner of my mouth, rashes and spots, my breathing is entertaining due to the time of year, I am sneezing mightily thanks to hay fever (what immune-suppression?) I am hugely tired and thus enfeebled. I reckon most of us are 'feebled' most of the time thanks to our various complaints, but this is completely out of order. I flopped into bed last night at 8pm, with a cuppa, my Kindle and a huge sigh of relief.

Ye gods.

I am suspecting low iron levels - I did that very reliable home-test of pulling down my lower eyelid and reckon Persil could use me in an advert, so white it is - so will flog off to the doctors next week for a blood test. That way I can mention my concern to the nurse and chase the results. This isn't one for rheumatology as yet but if indeed it's low iron then of course I will let them know.

Signing off, regards from your itchy, scratchy, sneezy, boily and tired DD.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Mega hugs ,excuse the face mask and rubber gloves. (((((()))))) Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Talk about one thing after another, it really sounds as though things are not going your way at the moment.

That word, enfeebled, is brilliantly descriptive wether as a result of alcohol or our "good" friend Arthur and his associates coming to pay a visit bearing gifts!

I hope you start to feel less enfeebled soon and get back to your norm.

I would say enjoy the sun but know that won't work for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh dear DD! It never rains........
    At least you can sort the low iron, and that may help other things.
    Perhaps you should follow Venitia's example and indulge in a tipple or three, of course it won't really help, but it would be enjoyable.
    I too am a fan of Rafaella Barker, I love "Hens Dancing" and have you read the follow up "Summertime"? Venitia, David and the Beauty also make a cameo appearance in "Green Grass", another lovely story set in Norfolk. I have several of her books, but that little series is my read again and again, favourite.
    Hope things begin to improve for you (((())))
    Numpty
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope you feel less enfeebled soon, DD - not a nice place to be.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Oh dear DD, hope the enfeebling reduces in severity very soon.

I was entertained by your sign off line and thought perhaps you were rewriting the 7 dwarfs for the arthritic....but we need 2 more. maybe Creaky and Grumpy?

Deb xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hope your enfeeblement(is there such a word) doesn't last to long ((((())))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I shall not attempt to prescribe anything as I'm no expert on enfeeblement but I think your plan of getting to the doc is a good one. Please do and let us in on the antidote as quite a few of us on here could do with being disenfeebled :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you each and everyone, for taking the time and care to reply, your thoughts and good wishes are much appreciated.

Hello Numpty, I have read Sumnmertime (plus other works) but they didn't resonate, for me, in the same way as Prancing Chickens. The Beauty has to be my favourite literary infant of all time. Utterly adorable. If I had ever been a mother I like to think it would have been in the Venetia mould - definitely with the house and without Charles! Have you come across the Mountjoy series by Elizabeth Pewsey (aka E Aston and E Edmondsen). I heartily recommend Volcanic Airs (which I think is the third) - for some unknown reason her novels have changed titles as often as she's changed her name. Most exasperating. DD

PS I am slightly less enfeebled which is just as well because we have friends coming round at 7. I suspect feeblement will return around 9pm. As a current advert in our region says - BOF! - (that's a French exclamation for something which I don't think is rude).
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Every day is a school day. I shall be nabbing enfeebled. I am also in a similar predicament, so I feel for you. I'm glad to hear you've got some strength back, hope tonight gives you a well-earned distraction. :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning DD hope you managed to have a pleasant few hours and that the enfeeblement (great word ) is fading.Take care . Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Fading enfeeblement sound desirable but unlikely after and evening with friends. Let's just say I hope today's enfeeblement is worthwhile.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Enfeeblement(my Chambers dictionary has it so it is a word!) is a useful addition to the arthritis lexicon I think. 'A bad bout of enfeeblement' sums up how many of us feel at one time or another.
    DD I think we could regard bof as the intellectual and/or grown up version of 'whatever' so loved by the yoof of today - unless one is Dutch and suffering from mumps...
    I do hope the various pestilences depart or moderate quickly.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation DD. I've downloaded it on to my Kindle. I'm having surgery on Wednesday, so will have plenty of time and opportunity to read it!

I hope you're not feeling too enfeebled today.
    Numpty