Healthy Eating??

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 3. Aug 2015, 18:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
Trying to follow a healthy diet, I bought a pack of Spinach from Tesco, but when I opened it a piece of wood fell out :shock: It was 7cm long and quite thick, like part of a branch from a tree.

Now I know that as part of a healthy diet I'm advised to eat lots of fibre, but I didn't realise that gnawing on pieces of wood was a necessary part of it :!:

Is this some new secret plot by the government to tackle obesity, I ask myself? Or perhaps all the dentists are recommending using it instead of toothpaste?
I'm sure that Popeye didn't include wood with his spinach and look how strong he grew!

I rang the Tesco customer services free phone number on the packet and got through to a very nice man. When I told him about the wood, he didn't seem in the least surprised, just as though it was an added extra to my spinach for which I should be grateful :lol:

I told him that I didn't enjoy gnawing on wood as my teeth aren't strong enough. He promised me a refund, but his unsurprised response made me wonder how many other people had received a piece of wood with their spinach.

I think I'll stick to egg and chips (but NOT wood chips) :lol:

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Now I regularly buy 3 bags of T*sco spinach Joan, (for our curries), and have never found any wood in mine!!!

Favouritism that's what it is :wink:

7cm though is HUGE!!! Hard to imagine that getting through their packaging process isn't it?

Pathetic just to get a refund when it's rather spoiled your planned meal too.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I, too, eat a fair bit of spinach and woodn't (Sorry, couldn't resist) like to find half a tree in it. Maybe more Trading Standards than Tesco Complaints. How did it get there? Spinach doesn't exactly grow on trees.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    No Sticky, you have a very sensible view of insoluble fibre in the diet, evidenced by your recent reply to a newbie -
    Crisp packets? I rarely eat them
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Now there's one for Joan's other thread of What Put a Smile On Your Face Today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Now I regularly buy 3 bags of T*sco spinach Joan, (for our curries), and have never found any wood in mine!!!

Favouritism that's what it is :wink:

Yes Toni, I did wonder whether I'd been given a a free gift, only available to a very select group of favoured customers. But I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with it. It's got a hole through the middle and I was hoping that it might conceal some £50 notes rolled up inside, but no such luck. I could thread a string through the middle and hang it up as a kind of mobile or even a light switch pull.

Any ideas anyone?
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I, too, eat a fair bit of spinach and woodn't (Sorry, couldn't resist) like to find half a tree in it. Maybe more Trading Standards than Tesco Complaints. How did it get there? Spinach doesn't exactly grow on trees.

It looks a bit like a piece of drift wood from a beach. Maybe the spinach was being supplemented by seaweed :?:

I hadn't thought of reporting it to Trading Standards but I think I should. I had to throw away the whole lot of spinach in case it had been contaminated by the unknown type of wood. But I have kept the packaging and the wood.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    No Sticky, you have a very sensible view of insoluble fibre in the diet, evidenced by your recent reply to a newbie -
    Crisp packets? I rarely eat them

Classic :!: :lol::lol::lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Blimey Joan..that must have been a shock..like Toni I but lots of spinach for my blender...I had better check it in future :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi Joan,
    well your woody spinach really made me laugh although I know I shouldn't really. I think you touched on the answer yourself; you said t***o wasn't overly surprised and you did mention health eating and dentists so it's obviously (!!) the human version of a dental chew like the ones dogs get to freshen their breath an keep their teeth strong. Maybe your part of an elite focus group that's been selected to test it out.
    (sorry, but got to get my laughs somewhere, tomorrow morning I've got a blood test a review with the GP and then a full day at work so trying to store up some laugh to see me through)

cheers
    slomo

Edited by Moderator JK
  • joanlawson
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Blimey Joan..that must have been a shock..like Toni I but lots of spinach for my blender...I had better check it in future :shock:

The mind boggles, Barbara :shock: I've heard of healthy juices, but not with added splinters :!:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    slomo wrote:
    Hi Joan,
    well your woody spinach really made me laugh although I know I shouldn't really. I think you touched on the answer yourself; you said t***o wasn't overly surprised and you did mention health eating and dentists so it's obviously (!!) the human version of a dental chew like the ones dogs get to freshen their breath an keep their teeth strong. Maybe your part of an elite focus group that's been selected to test it out.
    (sorry, but got to get my laughs somewhere, tomorrow morning I've got a blood test a review with the GP and then a full day at work so trying to store up some laugh to see me through)

cheers
    slomo

Edited by Moderator JK

Hi slomo
    Are you suggesting that T**co are comparing me to a dog with bad breath, albeit an elite one :?:
    .........Now you've got me worried :!: :shock: ( not really!)

You gave me a laugh too :lol::lol::lol:

Hope the review with the GP went well. Did he tell you to eat more spinach :?: