Back to work

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 6. Aug 2015, 14:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, I managed to a) return to work; and b) complete 99% of a day! I finished half an hour earlier - by prior arrangement with my line manager (it'll be the same tomorrow). Good to get the first day over with.

As I work all day Mon & Tues and mornings only on Weds, I feel I should be able to complete my "working week" okay. Today was the first day back to work for me after my ankle surgery. Luckily I'm office based and have good colleagues who were able to fill me in on the substantial number of changes made whilst I'd been off for the 3 and a half weeks. Rather nicely, everyone was pleased to see me and said I'd been missed, which is always nice to hear!

My pain was under control (with the aid of my meds) and although my ankle was sore when I got home, I wasn't "head banging". On the other hand, the swelling is still making itself very evident and - despite the fact I had my foot elevated under my desk - the swelling still got the upper hand! As the swollen area was quite hot to touch when I got home I got my ice pack out of the freezer and that helped a bit.

I am resigned to the fact that my trusty tubigrip is going to be part of me for quite a while to come but it was rather impressive to watch when I took this off and the ankle just ballooned. :!: At least I know the tubigrip is doing what it needs to and is still necessary.

Thanks for keeping me "sane" whilst I was off. Sitting and doing nothing doesn't sit comfortably with me.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done to you, that is a major 'step' forwards but still take things as easy as you can, yes? Apparently ankles are one of the hardest places for healing to happen, especially the deep healing which is required after surgery. I have a friend who had ankle surgery six weeks ago and is still having problems. I suppose ankles lack flesh, all bones are very close to the skin's surface and they must take a great deal of strain when we stand and move around. Tricky little joints, yes? Good luck for today and Wednesday morning. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hey, well done :D In addition to what DD has written surely any foot surgery involves a lot of recuperation partly because all our weight goes on there but mainly because the foot is such a complicated area with so many different bones.

I hope the rest of the week is 'doable'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    We'll done Grace - you have taken a big step forwards. Rest while you can on your days off.

Hope things continue to go well.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Thank you for your kind replies.

I have noticed that I've had a lot of post-op pain and swelling, and now seeing your replies this all ties in and makes better sense.

I managed to complete another day, but after about 3pm I felt a bit like a balloon deflating slowly. :!: I left again at 4.30pm (my usual finish time is 5pm on a Tuesday). I only have half a day to work tomorrow (Wednesday) so, once that's done, I'll have completed my first "week" back to work and I always think that's the hardest one when you go back after surgery.

My brother is in Kent at the moment and this is good timing as it means that I don't have to do anything for my Mum this week as it's my "annual week off" from getting things done for her.

I intend to put my feet up from tomorrow afternoon onwards.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Feet up is another good plan :D What you are doing is by no means easy but you are doing and achieving and I hope you can feel satisfied with your first week back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done, I guess by now (Wednesday lunchtime) that 1st week will be complete! Hope the rest of the week allows some time to rest that ankle properly so that the swelling reduces again.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope that yesterday wasn't too bad and that you've been able to rest as much as possible today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well done to you Grace, it couldn't have been easy but you have got one day over with or is it 2 today..sorry I am behind with everything..hope that pain is under control..x
    Love
    Barbara