Getting house ready pre hip replacement

Options
tedthered64
tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
edited 6. Aug 2015, 14:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Is there a guide anywhere for adaptions that I will need to make to the house before I go in for a THR.
Regards
Ted

Comments

• alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello.

I had a hip replacement ten years ago (and it is still in very good condition). I had a pre-op visit from an occupational therapist who advised me and generally checked my bungalow to make sure it was safe for me to return home to. The focus of attention was on the height of my chair and bed. My chair wasn't high enough so someone came round before the operation to put it up on blocks. They also delivered a portable toilet seat that had rails to give me something to hold on to, an extra long shoe horn to help with getting my shoes on and a grabber thing to pick items up instead of bending down.

So basically, it was all done for me. I don't know of a guide as such so can't help you there. I hope your operation goes well.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I haven`t been in this position, but I have a friend who has, and she was visited beforehand by an OH person, who arranged for everything needed to be in place before the op.

Hope it goes well for you.
  • tedthered64
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you both :)
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    It's also a good idea to rearrange the kitchen cupboards. Anything you use on a daily basis with is low down in the base cupboards, put up on a higher shelf.

Have more than one grabber stick so you are not continually looking for it.
    Also, if you have a regular friendly postman, ask him to leave the mail in the letter box, rather than struggling to pick it up from off the mat.

And, most importantly, if you are houseproud, then either employ a cleaner for a few weeks or let it be.

Best of luck with the op.

Janet
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Do you live alone or with someone else? (Sorry, if I've forgotten :oops: ) If you have someone to cook, clean etc I think you'll find the hospital's Occupational Therapists will sort you out before you leave.

If you need to think in terms of meals etc then get in some things that are easy such as ready meals, freeze some bread, frozen veg etc and / or oder groceries online for a while.

Best of luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I've not had a replacement but there is a long-ish thread at the top of this board which is called - ummm - something about going to hospital and useful tips; that might be worth a read-through. Good luck, keep us informed please as to how things go! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly good luck with the op, I hope it goes really well.

I've not had a hip replacement op but I have had a knee replacement. What helped me afterwards was having things ready for when I came home like a little table with phone, notepad, pen on it. Also plenty of library and puzzle books. I also borrowed DVD's to watch. I now internet shop and if you can I'd recommend that you do this. Ask the driver to put the shopping onto kitchen worktops and mention on the notes section that you are post op and may be slow to answer the door. Whenever I'm post op, I put a notice near to my door so that callers can see it and it says "Please ring & Wait. Thank you". You may also want to organise in advance for someone to give you lifts to and fro medical appointments. Oh, and if you're on regular meds see if you can stock up just before you have your operation. Most pharmacies will deliver meds so it may be worth you investigating that.

My sister was seen by OH at home before her hip replacements and like the others who've posted already, she had various things supplied.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Forgot to say, that mats can be dodgy so better remove any that might trip you up. Loads of bits of furniture can also be a hazard although some to hang onto is useful.

Another thing was that I bought myself a seat for the shower. I got it from a medical supply shop and didn't pay VAT on it as it was a medical need!
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • tedthered64
    Options
    Thank you all
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    You absolutely need seat cushions and a higher toilet seat as you must not sit at a right angle. A grabby stick (or two) will prevent you bending down, another no no.

MY OT gave me the raised toilet seat, new crutches, grabby stick and a shoe horn. I already had the shower seat from OT.

Stock up on ready meals.

Elizabeth xxx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Ted your OT should be able to help..ie seat raisers and toilet ones these were sent to me just before I went in for the op...like someone said a table with everything on, a sports type bottle for water because of knocking it over...twice I did it...a lamp close by for when its dark everything on eye level in the kitchen or on worktop..not sure if you have stairs, but I had grab handles fitted for the top..good luck with it all hope it goes well..
    Love
    Barbara