Waiting for Rheumatology appointment

Options
bangorlass
bangorlass Member Posts: 21
edited 9. Aug 2015, 12:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Well lots going on at the moment, awaiting decision on surgery for my knee (he cant decide what surgery to do) and now I've been referred to Rheumatology as I went to my gp with painful finger joints.

she took blood samples and crp slightly raised as well as Ana Positive I've no idea what this means but the rh factor was negative.

She said she would be referring me asap... I've no idea what to expect or anything it really has knocked the wind out of me.

any advice would be most welcome

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've got OA and not RA so can't actually help but just wanted to wish you good luck with your tests and appointments. I usually take a written list of questions with me to my hospital appointments and if you can, please take someone else with you as what you miss, they'll probably catch and vice-versa.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bangorlass
    Options
    thank you GraceB... I have OA in my rt knee and now not sure what else in my hands wrists and shoulders...

Yes I will take my husband to the appointment so he can try remember anything that is said that I miss during the appointment
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis, a sero-negative form (i.e. no rheumatoid factor present) of auto-immune arthritis. My CRP and ESR were always very high (in the 160s & 170s) so that gave the game away viz. my having some form of inflammatory arthritis.

These are unsettling times for you, yes? I think it a good thing that you have been referred to rheumatology - what operations is your orthopaedic surgeon considering? In 2002 I had an open synovectomy on my left knee to remove five years' worth of liquid and solidified inflammation, this was repeated sixteen months later because it all swelled again. then the medical penny began to drop. I lost 2001 in being bounced between orthopaedics and rheumatology, neither could decide whose problem I was. In 2011 it became clear I have a creaky foot in both camps - the double can be done but I don't recommend it! :wink:

The rheumatologist may order more blood tests and Xrays. It may be worth your keeping a short diary of pain and tiredness levels, what helps matters or hinders, so he can gain a better view of how you are being affected. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bangorlass
    Options
    Hi All

Just thought I'd let you all know I've had a date to see the Rheumatologist it's next Friday 14th, I'm shocked at how quickly the appointment came through its only a week after my Gp referring me..... I'm quite scared now

xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can understand the trepidation but surely it's better to go sooner rather than later. If there is something auto-immune grumbling away then it's good to start tackling it before it gets a real hold - I wasn't so lucky hence my double trouble. I hope you noted my advice about keeping a brief diary, any extra information you can give is to the good; it is very easy to think 'I'll remember to tell them that.' but in my experience of eighteen years' of rheumatology appointments all sensible thoughts disappear as soon as you walk in. Is someone else able to go with you? Another pair of ears can be of great advantage because it is hard to remember everything you are told.

Please let us know how you get on and try not to raise your hopes too high about receiving a definitive diagnosis, sadly that is rarely the case. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi bangorlass

I can totally understand you're anxious about your rheumy appt but isn't it quite possible that you've got a cancellation and there's nothing more sinister to the speed of the appt than that? I'm just going to have to cancel a review appt as it's for right in the middle of my holidays - there must be others having the same problem.
    I took my husband to my appt too (the appt I'm having to rearrange is my first review appt, this whole thing is new to me) It was good to have the moral support and he can bring up any queries you might miss. I didn't even take a list of questions with me as I had no idea what was going to be happening and what sort of questions to ask.
    My rheumy made me feel that we were in it together and not to worry because help was available and if the first drug didn't suit me then not to panic as there were others available. I hope you get an approachable one too.
    good luck with it
    slomo