R.I.P The dead f Hiroshima and Nagsaki

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 7. Aug 2015, 05:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
How did we become so brutalised that we could vaporise civilians?

Never again, please, and certainly not in my name.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Agree with you 100% Sticky, I also couldn't help but notice the lack of TV programming or references to this in contrast to the coverage of aspects of the war such as D Day, VE day etc. Perhaps because this is a more sensitive issue, people tend to forget with all the talks about countries such as Iran possibly acquiring nuclear weapons who actually used such a bomb.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    And remember those who survived. Even today they and their children apparently face problems in Japan, not just of health but also from society.
    The mother of a schoolfriend of mine was a Nagasaki survivor, and there was often an air of tension about the family, I imagine from worry about possible health problems of mother and the 2 girls. I lost contact not long after leaving school so don't know what became of them.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well said SW...how on earth any human can do this to another...I always thought it was payback for Peal Harbor...RIP..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    We have seen a few TV programmes about it recently. Hiroshima looked like a very beautiful city, then almost instantaneously - total devastation. :shock:

Many survivors interviewed had obvious scars and disfigurements they've had to live with, to say nothing of the physical and emotional pain. It was always said that those who died immediately were the lucky ones. Horrific isn't a strong enough word. :cry:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Totally agree with you, Sticky. The whole episode was absolutely obscene.

We have a VJ Day next week in our village - lots of festivities - but I won't be attending.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We have a small lake nearby and some years ago it was traditional to float 100 candles across it on Hiroshima day. Sadly no more.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    War is brutal and ugly but will happen due to the intransigence of mankind. We have never learned from history and maybe never will but, despite 'temptations' there has never been another nuclear strike. Maybe mankind has learned one thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Just too awful.

:(

Absolutely we must remember those innocent civilians

xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well said DD,but man being man ..........Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    War is one thing but nuclear war is quite another.

I have never believed in nuclear weapons as deterrents ever since seeing the film Failsafe in 1968. The film is set during the cold war. A technical error results in a USA bomber heading for Moscow to drop its bomb on it. Both USA and USSR liaise with honesty and integrity to try to stop it but fail.

It is all too plausible.
    Steven Wright