Elbow burstitus

Options
tedthered64
tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
edited 7. Aug 2015, 05:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Got a bit of a fright when my elbow swelled up like the size of a tennis ball for no apparent reason!
Went to the walk in and was informed that it is elbow burstitus and nothing to worry about.
I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is a normal cause of events for people with OA and is it likely to happen again?
Don't want to sound like a wimp but it was really scary :)

Comments

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,730
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You don't sound at all like a wimp, inly like someone who has had a scare and that certainly sounds scary.

    I've never had bursitis but this is what NHS Choices says about it. http://tinyurl.com/nhlqxrv
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You don't sound at all like a wimp, inly like someone who has had a scare and that certainly sounds scary.

    I've never had bursitis but this is what NHS Choices says about it. http://tinyurl.com/nhlqxrv
    Hi,
    Thank you for the reply.
    After reading that link I am beginning to wonder whether my OA is actually RA?

    I think I may need to speak to my GP.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,730
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I remember, it's your knees and hips that are affected. It's not unheard of for an inflammatory arthritis to start there but it's not usual. Anyone can get bursitis even if they've never had arthritis of any kind. By all means ask your GP though. He's the expert.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I remember, it's your knees and hips that are affected. It's not unheard of for an inflammatory arthritis to start there but it's not usual. Anyone can get bursitis even if they've never had arthritis of any kind. By all means ask your GP though. He's the expert.
    Thank you
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 779
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You have my sympathy. I've had it in both my hips for 18 months and now also have it in my shoulders. I have OA. Strong steroid injections from the rheumatologist worked well for a while, but, I'm afraid it's creeping back.

    I would definitely talk it over with your GP. He also sent me for physio.

    Meg
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Megrose489 wrote:
    You have my sympathy. I've had it in both my hips for 18 months and now also have it in my shoulders. I have OA. Strong steroid injections from the rheumatologist worked well for a while, but, I'm afraid it's creeping back.

    I would definitely talk it over with your GP. He also sent me for physio.

    Meg
    Hi Meg,

    Unfortunately past the stage of physio, right hip stage is avascular necrosis of the femoral head and right hip not far behind.
    Advanced bi lateral OA in both of them.
    I also have really bad OA in both knees, right knee needing replacement so it's not too good at the moment.
    Top of my back by my neck as been in bulk today but hoping tomorrow will be better.
    Ted
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Ted I have had this in the hip I have had replaced...have they offered a steroid injection they work well for some...hope it eases for you
    Love
    Barbara
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Ted I have had this in the hip I have had replaced...have they offered a steroid injection they work well for some...hope it eases for you
    Hi Barbara,
    Seen the consultant 4 weeks ago and he mentioned injections, problem is I had a terrible time a couple of years ago when my GP done an injection in my knee and it made the pain worse, although when I explained this to my consultant he said the GP probably missed!
    Will probably gave to consider getting it done though as the pain is ridiculous at times
    Ted x
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have OA and have recently been diagnosed with bursitis on both hips. My GP said that all weight bearing joints had these fluid filled sacs to relieve stress on the joints but they can become inflamed and become a problem as I am sure you know. I am currently waiting for the results of an MRI scan on my lower spine so no treatment offered as yet.

    Sometimes it is just one pain or problem too many. I really hope you get some treatment offered soon.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    alumina wrote:
    I have OA and have recently been diagnosed with bursitis on both hips. My GP said that all weight bearing joints had these fluid filled sacs to relieve stress on the joints but they can become inflamed and become a problem as I am sure you know. I am currently waiting for the results of an MRI scan on my lower spine so no treatment offered as yet.

    Sometimes it is just one pain or problem too many. I really hope you get some treatment offered soon.
    Hi,
    So sorry to hear about you're diagnosis, it's such a disabling illness.
    At times it just seems to be one thing after another!
    Everyday brings new challenges, hope you are ok
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    alumina wrote:
    Hi,
    So sorry to hear about you're diagnosis, it's such a disabling illness.
    At times it just seems to be one thing after another!
    Everyday brings new challenges, hope you are ok

    Thank you. In a way, I can see that pain is "useful" as it was this that got me back to my GP and hence the MRI scan. Since I also have sciatica in both legs as well, I am sleeping badly and am very tired but for the most part, and very cheerful!

    :hammock:
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    alumina wrote:
    alumina wrote:
    Hi,
    So sorry to hear about you're diagnosis, it's such a disabling illness.
    At times it just seems to be one thing after another!
    Everyday brings new challenges, hope you are ok

    Thank you. In a way, I can see that pain is "useful" as it was this that got me back to my GP and hence the MRI scan. Since I also have sciatica in both legs as well, I am sleeping badly and am very tired but for the most part, and very cheerful!

    :hammock:
    Hope it all goes well :)