Hello.....I've missed you and I'm back!

Options
Boomer13
Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
edited 18. Aug 2015, 13:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
A few months ago I decided I needed a complete break from the computer world. I tried my darnedest to just get on with life in the real world again to see if I could change my situation. I thought maybe a new attitude might improve my symptoms and painful life? Just to stop focussing on me and my problems with Psa and keep as busy as was possible. No computer, other than email, no forums, no talking about arthritis. I guess no one here will be surprised to hear that it didn't work :? I gave it a try anyway. Still here, still arthritic with psa and oa and the latest: fibromyalgia. Rhuemy says it comes to everyone with inflammatory arthritis sooner or later. Drat, don't want it.

I was finally approved and received Enbrel six weeks ago and so far it's been disappointing, provoked my Psa rather than helping, which I wasn't expecting. So I'm still waiting....The heat here this summer has been unbelievable and, oh so painful.

In good news, I had cataract surgery which was terrifically successful and I can see very well now. At least until the other eye gets bad, as it has a steroid cataract too. Actually, I can't wait until that one is fixed too.

I hope I can still be part of your lovely forum, I've been thinking of you all a lot lately and finally decided it was time to return. I may be intermittently away because my Mum died very recently. It was very sudden and I'm still adjusting to not having her in my life.

Hoping everyone is doing as well as they can. Sending my best wishes to all of you.

Anna

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Anna! HELLO! Hello, hello, hello! It's lovely to see your name on here again, I've been wondering where you were and how things were going. I can understand the need for a break from internet arthritis, it's challenging enough living with our own let alone everyone else's but, alas, we cannot leave our own behind so easily.

I recall Enbrel, it didn't do much for me and it sounds as though you might be following my poor example. I have that unholy trinity of dross and am also wilting in the summer heat (well, what passes for summer heat over here, Mr DD comes home and puts on a fleece, I am dripping with a towel and sag in front of the electric fan). I am pleased that the cataract surgery helped and I hope that Mr Boomer is doing as well as possible. How are your chickens? All growed up now, I expect!

Anna, it's lovely to have you back. ((( ))) x DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Welcome back from me too. Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hello Anna, welcome home!!!!!

Life sounds more than a little challenging just now, so maybe some virtual hugs are in order

(((((((((( ))))))))))

I guess we're here when we need each other, but equally are free to be absent when we need to be too. Glad to hear that the cataract surgery went well, not been there myself, but guess it's like getting a piece of your life back.

Deb xx
  • Boomer13
    Options
    ((((()))))) right back, THANK you for the warm welcome back!

It is truly wonderful to have good vision, something maybe taken for granted by many. The brightness and clarity of everything after surgery was very overwhelming. I treated myself to having all my windows cleaned. It's wonderful! and I can watch birds again, see the leaves on trees, etc. Very important to me, especially now my Mum is gone. This was a hobby she and I shared and I have many happy memories of our travels.

My chickens, DD, thanks for asking. I lost the hen due to a neck vertebrae deformity, she developed something called wry neck that didn't respond to treatment. The little rooster is fine happy and healthy, rooing it up and crowing every morning. He's very tame and sweet. Yesterday he was sitting on my shoulder and crowing. Goodbye hearing! He has this endearing habit of "nesting" and making all sorts of strange little squeals, squeaks, and groans whiles stirring up a nest in the straw. Makes me laugh every time. We have a small flock now and eggs are popping daily.

You would have hated our summer DD. + 35 for weeks, it seemed. This year was the first summer that I didn't have a slight reprieve from symptoms. I really was painfully miserable and, sopping wet too. My hair! What nonsense is that? How can you pretend to be lovely when your hair is soaking wet with sweat? I thought of you with my towel in hand. Never happened to me before. Ick.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hello Anna, it's lovely to see you back!
    It sounds as though you've had a pretty challenging time of late!
    I too had steroid induced cataracts, I had surgery a couple of years ago, it's truly amazing the difference it makes!
    Welcome back,
    Numpty x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Welcome back Anna.....good to see your name again

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Good to see you back, and news of your successful cataract surgery, and your chickadees. There are many on here who will sympathise with the mum-shaped hole in your life. It's hard at the best of times but poor health really doesn't help with the coping.
    I can see your reasoning for the forum absence, but the other side of it is that sharing problems and low times with folks who know what it's like can be very helpful - a problem shared and all that... - and the quirky humour in the midst of yukkiness is a definite boost.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    Hello Boomer :) we've missed you too. I have hardly been around myself so I was surprised to come in & coincidentally find you had reappeared at much the same time. I'm not at my best so will be intermittent also, as you say, but thinking of you especially under the circumstances - condolences on the loss of your mother, and sorry distraction didn't work like a charm. Not easy is it - sorry also that the Enbrel is not being wonderful for you. xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Boomer welcome back, I'm sure you missed us all! :sunny:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    HELLO!!!

A belated welcome back from me, too. It's good to see you here, Anna. You've been missed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Anna sorry this is late but welcome back, but I am sorry the meds are not working for you,you must have built up to taking them ...but brilliant news that the cataract op was successful..it must make such a difference to see more clearly..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Another one who is late to the party but WELCOME BACK!! It was only the other day that I was wondering about your silence. Good news about the successful cataract surgery, that must be a relief.
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Thank you, it's nice to feel missed, isn't it? And strangely, this virtual place does feel like home. I am continually frustrated with the attitudes of healthy people so it's nice to have you all to talk to. It's just a shame I am not back telling you how wonderfully well I am! But hey, I look great, apparently :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yup, apparently looking well equates with being well and well it might for those who are well. Wow. Was that a zeugma? Well I never! :wink:

One has to make allowances for the healthy because they are used to being off-colour for a brief period of time and then getting better. (whatever that means). I know when they tell me I am looking well they genuinely mean it but it's not their fault that they cannot equate appearance over reality. I have to agree, however, that with a hint of a tan and wearing a smile, things do look good. Hurrah! :wink:

We know what it's like, Anna, and it ain't easy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben