Am getting ref'd to Occ Health

Options
slomo
slomo Member Posts: 180
edited 11. Aug 2015, 06:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks,
I feel like I've had a busy week despite only working part-time. On Monday I had my review with my GP who didn't really say much but mainly just let me ramble on about how I was feel on the MTX. He's happy for me to get 'weekly' blood test number 6 when I get back from holidays so I assume from that all is ok as it delays it by 2 weeks. He's told me what I can use if I need painkillers and he's said it's ok for me to have a wee wine! (I'm quite happy having just a small pub measure of wine a couple of times a week, when I was on naproxen I even measured it out exactly as I got such awful acid reflux if I took too much). Even better than that, he says its ok for me to take Stugeron (other bands are available of course but everyone has their favourite). As far as I'm concerned it the bestest remedy for travel sickness and as we're going to the Outer Hebrides I really want to have it on hand.
My manager told me on Wed that he was going to refer me to our occupational health people so hopefully they will be in touch soon and have some good suggestions to make my time at work more comfortable.

Really confused this morning to get a review appt letter to see my rheumatologist and the end of the month. He did say he'd see me in a couple of months so that's about the right time scale but me and OH are both sure we told him our holiday dates and it's when we're away. Further confused by the fact that I've already been sent an appt for November although there's no Dr's name on that letter. I'll have to get in touch with them and find out what's what. OH says to phone them on Monday from work but I think I might just e-mail them (they've given me the dept e-mail address) and I can explain my problem better without feeling guilty about leaving my colleague on her own or going back to work with it all still running around in my head.

Didn't intend such a long post so sorry about that.
Am going to catch up on all your posts now and see how you're all doing (although I think maybe I'd better take a damp cloth to the mouse first as I managed to drop a jammy biscuit on it just as I sat down to log on! always lands jam side down doesn't it?!)

slomo

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The 'double' appointment could be an admin. mix-up, heaven knows they happen often enough but yes, that does need clarification. You mentioned reflux when you were taking naproxen: did you also have a stomach protector too? The two should go hand-in-hand, especially if the anti-inflammatory is a long-term prospect.

Has your GP told you that now you are taking meth you qualify for a 'flu jab? I will be making my appointment for that next month, I've had it for years due to asthma and now the immune-suppression and never had any trouble with it - or 'flu! I've not been dealt with by Occ. Health but many on here have and I hope they will be able to help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi DD
    thanks for the post. Yes, when I was taking naproxen I had omeprazole too although to be honest there was more than one occasion when I felt a bit queasy after I'd taken that!
    The flu jab I've never had before but the rheumy said I'd to get it although no-one has said when. If no-one mentions it soon then I'll ask about it as I suppose it's not that long till we're are that time of year and the customers I deal with are a very varied bunch ranging from clean and charming people to the kind who can be very charming but aren't very big on personal hygiene.
    As for the Occ Health I'm not even sure if they have any medical knowledge or what: I really don't know much about them at all.
    They say trying out new things helps keep us young but I don't really fancy any of these 'new things'

all the best
    slomo
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    You should also be entitled to the pneumonia vaccine, so should mention it to your GP.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Flu jabs tend to be around October but our Health Centre usually has 'adverts' up by September. I get a postal reminder but don't always wait for it as I'd rather get mine done before the cold germs etc set in.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright