hello newbie here

kazz25
kazz25 Member Posts: 2
edited 11. Aug 2015, 13:26 in Say Hello Archive
hi, i am new to the site, i have had OA since my 30s and its getting worse as time goes by, i find the inability to do things as i used to do the most frustrating, i was always very busy and could do anything on my own. a question i have is on good days i get everything done, i try and do all the jobs i havent done but then of course i suffer as a result of being so busy, but i cant do them on bad days, so its a bit no win i think. any advice will be great,

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums kazz25 from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here who have a wide range of experiences of arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Hopefully someone will be along to reply to your query soon.

Please do join in wherever you like, you will be made very welcome. I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello kazz25 :)

I've had RA since I was 15 and OA for about the last 40 years or more and, yes, they do get worse rather than better :wink:

Arthritis is actually quite a good teacher. It's certainly taught me patience and to prioritise. There's no point in getting everything done and then suffering for it. I've developed a much more relaxed attitude to everything. Most things, I've found, don't really need ironing for example. There are also lots of gadgets that make life easier such as electric can and jar openers.

Each day will bring jobs that can be divided into 'Must do', 'Should do' and 'Can be left'. If they can be left then leave them. As 'Graceb' recently said on one post – eventually they drop off the end of the list :lol: We have enough stress in our lives without giving ourselves more. Keeping active is good – but only up to a point. Stop when you have a bit more left in you. And delegate if you have someone you can delegate to.

You might find some food for thought on the Living With Arthritis forum's 'Ideas to make life easier' thread near the top. Good luck
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Kazz..and a warm welcome form me
    I am 65 with OA for around 6 years or longer..and a few other things going on..this is something we all do..get all the jobs out the way while having a good day..then suffer..I have given up being house proud..and just do what i can...then let OH do the rest..you will find many tips in living with arthritis..at the top of the page...but must say I still over do things.. :) hope to see your name around the forum... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I've been sitting here trying to remember my last really good day - I think it was back in October 2001, so some time ago now. :lol: I have learned over my nineteen arthritic years to ask for help because that helps to preserve my limited reserves of what I laughingly call energy and I break activities into chunks, I do a bit then rest a bit. I am considerably slower at doing things than I used to be but with two kinds of arthritis plus fibro that's hardly surprising. I am only 56 but am used to being overtaken by pensioners who sprint along under their own steam - nice life if you can get it. :wink:

Have you read The Spoon Theory? it's an article on the interweb and it is a clear explanation of the limitations we face on a day-to-day business as we tackle life accompanied by chronic disease. We can all on here empathise with the exasperation and frustrations of trying to achieve what we used to do with ease so come and talk to us: we get it.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben