Medical Alert ID

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 14. Aug 2015, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone wear any type of alert jewellery ? what type do you wear ? is it recommended for people on immuno-suppressents . Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do. Simply because my Blue 'Meth Blood Tests' booklet says I should carry it round with me all the the time. Yeah, right :roll:

So I have a bracelet (just a metal tag on a strap) on which is recorded my name, GP, GP's phone number and the fact that I'm on meth (wrong dosage :oops: ) and have asthma. My asthma's only mild but I put that on as a friend, who also had mild asthma, forgot to mention it pre-surgery and, as a result, she was given the wrong anaesthetic for an asthmatic and had a stroke.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I'd never thought about it, though I do carry a copy of my repeat prescription in my handbag......maybe it's worth considering, like SW I too have asthma amongst the mix of many ailments but I'd never considered the need for different drugs in surgery.

Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't but my humira card is in my purse along with a an old repeat script annotated with the meth and humira doses too. I never go out without my purse so I reckon I'm covered. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I bought a meditag pandora style bracelet, as I don't want to risk any complications. On top of that my mum, husband work and my handbag all have a list of all medications, doses, days I take them and inserts from the tablets to hand to a medic in case of emergency. Think I may be a bit paranoid xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I can't say it's ever crossed my mind. I have the humira alert card in my purse but it's buried underneath my petrol receipts to remind me to claim my expenses. :? I keep meaning to put a list of my (many!) medications in my purse too but never got 'round to it. That said, I've just been diagnosed with asthma and had a scary moment the other night where I was struggling to speak, so maybe I should get one.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    There are so many out there from cheap to really expensive and theres the one that if you belong to ac you can get a discount on if you join the scheme,at the moment i have the same as DD in my purse. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I use the one with the AC discount. Cheapest possible version. It's lasted so well that my meth dose is out of date.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Although I love jewellery there are days when I don't want to wear anything - I reckon I'm covered with the details I carry around with me, they are tucked behind my driving licence so will easily be found. I can also keep things more easily up-to-date which, for me, is important. Horses for courses I guess! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I have the Medicalert one. It's quite nice and the bit with the medical details on is usually under my wrist so not obvious, just looks like an ordinary silver bracelet. Updated yearly or when conditions/meds change.

I am steroid dependent (Addison's disease) and have restricted airways from neck fusions so was advised by consultant to get one (though I don't usually like wearing a label!)

Don 't even think about it now and wear it in the pool, bath etc. Its has to come off when I have to be cannulated though so have to remember where I put it :wink:

Hope you make the right choice for you, we are all different x
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have a medical bracelet.

But also have a note of My name, GP and Medical conditions on a piece of Paper in my purse.