Grandma conned regarding massage bed - Can you help?

Options
youthnovels
youthnovels Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Aug 2015, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I won't go into details but my Grandma has nearly been conned out of £1500 for a topper mattress.

In short, to make the blow easier, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a mattress topper for a 82 year old lady with arthritis in her knees?

I'm looking at various websites but there's so many bad reviews out there I don't know where to start!

She's someone who has been offered a double knee replacement but has refused it due to not wanting to be seen as "old" yet she can barely walk the length of her driveway.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• tedthered64
    tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I won't go into details but my Grandma has nearly been conned out of £1500 for a topper mattress.

In short, to make the blow easier, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a mattress topper for a 82 year old lady with arthritis in her knees?

I'm looking at various websites but there's so many bad reviews out there I don't know where to start!

She's someone who has been offered a double knee replacement but has refused it due to not wanting to be seen as "old" yet she can barely walk the length of her driveway.

Thank you in advance.
    Argos, reasonably priced and works for me.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am sorry this has happened, the elderly are vulnerable to high-pressure salesmanship and we often read on here about the mis-selling of inappropriate goods.

Toppers have a part to play but they can be very expensive: why not try a folded polyester duvet instead? The thickness can be adjusted, it will give an extra layer of heat and is a cheaper option. There are so many toppers out there of varying quality, it is a minefield and could be an expensive waste of money. This could be an economical way to see if one would suit or it may be enough on its own!

I have OA in both ankles and both knees and have for years slept with a pillow either under or between my legs. As my knees no longer lie flat this does make life slightly more comfortable when in bed. I wish your grandmother well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can't help on the topper front. I use a mattress that is 3/4 sprung and 1/4 memory foam and wouldn't be without it. It cost nothing like the price your grandmother paid.

I wonder about the knee replacements. I've had RA since I was 15 and had my first knee replacements at 35. At 82 your grandma must know other people who have had knees and hips replaced. My guess is that age is an excuse and that really she's frightened - maybe of the operation itself, or the anaesthetic or even (if she's been reasonably healthy all her life) just being in hospital and using bedpans etc. It might be worth trying to draw her out on it. Who knows? She could have a new lease of life.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright