Spondylitis!!

Options
tedthered64
tedthered64 Member Posts: 84
edited 19. Aug 2015, 17:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Went the GP to speak to him about my shoulder, neck and back pain. I have mentioned on here the conditions that I already suffer from, to my surprise he said I also have spondylitis!!
I was wondering how he could come to this conclusion?
Surely he would have to rely on X-rays or scans?
Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but after regularly reading some of the knowledgable posts on here, at times, I find that this site and the advice of fellow sufferers is far more informative and accurate than my own GP

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Spondylitis means you have inflammation somewhere in your spine. ('-itis' at the end of a word always indicates inflammation or swelling.) I guess, if you have neck and shoulder arthritis problems, it might be a 'given'. I don't know.

My experience with docs is that if you ask the questions they will give the answers but, if people don't ask, they presume they don't want to know. Many don't.

I doubt your treatment will change as the same meds are used for OA wherever it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tedthered64
    Options
    Spondylitis means you have inflammation somewhere in your spine. ('-itis' at the end of a word always indicates inflammation or swelling.) I guess, if you have neck and shoulder arthritis problems, it might be a 'given'. I don't know.

My experience with docs is that if you ask the questions they will give the answers but, if people don't ask, they presume they don't want to know. Many don't.

I doubt your treatment will change as the same meds are used for OA wherever it is.
    Hi, that clears that up, didn't know that about the 'itis' :)
    Thank you
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I know that Spondylitis is more common in men ,but I would have thought he would need scans to some to this conclusion...sounds like he just wanted to put a name to what you have then you would go away...sorry I am suffering today ..thinks its the heat...but I had a GP just like that, and change a few years ago..and have not lo9oked back..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tedthered64
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    I know that Spondylitis is more common in men ,but I would have thought he would need scans to some to this conclusion...sounds like he just wanted to put a name to what you have then you would go away...sorry I am suffering today ..thinks its the heat...but I had a GP just like that, and change a few years ago..and have not lo9oked back..
    Hi,
    Yes, that's what I was thinking as well.
    Suppose time will tell.
    Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Medicalese is a whole different language, many medics assume we know what they are talking about because they know what they're talking about, it's a danger in any profession. Arthritis, bursitis, cystitis, diverticulitis, spondylitis etc. all hint at inflammation of something somewhere which might or might not be relieved by meds.

If I don't know then I ask - it's not easy sometimes, though, appointments can run away and suddenly we find ourselves ushered out of the door! You have a fair bit going on at the moment, don't you? I've been meaning to ask so I will while I remember: have you sorted out a stick or crutch? If so is it helping? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tedthered64
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Medicalese is a whole different language, many medics assume we know what they are talking about because they know what they're talking about, it's a danger in any profession. Arthritis, bursitis, cystitis, diverticulitis, spondylitis etc. all hint at inflammation of something somewhere which might or might not be relieved by meds.

If I don't know then I ask - it's not easy sometimes, though, appointments can run away and suddenly we find ourselves ushered out of the door! You have a fair bit going on at the moment, don't you? I've been meaning to ask so I will while I remember: have you sorted out a stick or crutch? If so is it helping? DD
    Hi DD,
    I have too much going on at the moment sadly.
    Just to update you, when I went to see my GP regards using crutches, he observed me moving from the waiting room to the Doctors room, before I had a chance to ask about the crutches he referred me to wheelchair services and advised that in the short term I should speak to the Red Cross about loaning a wheelchair.
    I think finally he looked through all the recent scans and consultant reports and made an informed decision!
    I have an appointment with multi skeletal services tomorrow so will be using it for the first time, to say I'm nervous is an understatement.
    Thanks for asking.
    Ted
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have bits of kit to cover the appalling as well as the 'this is what passes for good' days, which I've amassed over the years. In the house there are my original NHS pine walking sticks and a pair of crutches, the rolly lives in the back of my car and Hermione (my wheelchair) is in bits at the bottom of a built-in cupboard (she is designed to be in bits for easier storage, I haven't taken a screwdriver to her in anger). I can self-propel or Mr DD can shove.

In my view doctors live with the theory whereas we have the reality. They should make decisions about the meds but not much else - we know how things feel and how we can vary from day-to-day in our mobility. It's important for our overall health that we keep as mobile as possible whilst we have the ability, whether it hurts or not. Muscle tone can be lost so quickly and that doesn't help our beleaguered joints. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tedthered64
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have bits of kit to cover the appalling as well as the 'this is what passes for good' days, which I've amassed over the years. In the house there are my original NHS pine walking sticks and a pair of crutches, the rolly lives in the back of my car and Hermione (my wheelchair) is in bits at the bottom of a built-in cupboard (she is designed to be in bits for easier storage, I haven't taken a screwdriver to her in anger). I can self-propel or Mr DD can shove.

In my view doctors live with the theory whereas we have the reality. They should make decisions about the meds but not much else - we know how things feel and how we can vary from day-to-day in our mobility. It's important for our overall health that we keep as mobile as possible whilst we have the ability, whether it hurts or not. Muscle tone can be lost so quickly and that doesn't help our beleaguered joints. DD
    Starting to amass quite a bit of kit myself :).
    The problem I have at the moment is my left hip needs replacing, back to see consultant in 4 weeks to see if there is any more segmental collapse, and my right knee needs replacing.
    Been told to keep weight off my left hip and weight off my right knee.
    Now, without the skills of a circus acrobat I have not yet worked out a way to do this :).
    It's certainly problem at the moment but I believe a problem is just a solution waiting to be found, there's always a way.
    As always thank you for you're informative and helpful reply, I really appreciate it.
    Ted
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

How are you at standing on your head, Ted :lol:

Surgeons :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tedthered64
    Options

How are you at standing on your head, Ted :lol:

Surgeons :roll:
    Hahaha, my daughters said I could try being Spider-Man!!!
  • Sarahd1609
    Sarahd1609 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    My rheumy had to send me for a MRI to confirm spondylitis.Maybe the gp was suggesting it but has to refer you for further tests via rheumy. Sometimes I think with me they flick a medical dictionary and say it's the page the land on. I've been told 3 conflicting stories by rheumy, dmards nurse and Dr so am just jabbing and tablet taking until I find out who is right lol xxxx